Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why do I feel the need to push it?

griffggriff Posts: 496
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all :)

As I reported last week, my 5 week post-op with my surgeon went very well with the only suprises being that he removed far more vertabrae than I remember him telling me and that I have problems with my T2 and T3 vertabrae. Great He actually commented that I'm fusing far faster than normal. He gave me the go ahead to do whatever I felt like I could, within rational limits of course, but no weight limits etc.

So what do I do? Mow the grass. Not on the riding mower- I pushed the mower in the fenced yard I have for my dogs. I can't get the riding mower in there. My thinking is that I can push a shopping cart, why can't I push a mower, right?

So, OUCH! I am paying for it! Make me stop! Tell me it's too soon and that I'm not superwoman! I know all of this rationally but for some reason I feel the need to live, to do normal things again. It's been so long and I've felt so useless.

What can I do?

• after my surgery and i started to do things again most of my aches and pains where when i was trying to do more. The way I looked at it was I was retraining my body to do everything again and started out slow. Cut the grass, but break it into two or three days. Cut for ten mins the first time, then see how you feel the next day, then try 20 mins next time when you feel better. Like i said i felt sore and burning after i did most things the 1st 2nd time. I'd just wait till felt better and then do it again and not as bad the second and 3rd time. Like he said you have to use you're head and just listen to you body but don't be afraid to try things if you are cleared to do it. certain things will come back quicker without pain than other things. 4 -5wks was about the time i was doing a little more but is still early on , i was not cleared to do anything I wanted till 4-5 months and went thru a lot of aches and pains those 1st 4 months when i did activities. It lessend though month by month. as far as riding things, I did notice and was told long as not bumpy, so pushing could be easier on you're neck denpending on curcumstances. I groom trails in winter and tried to groom for short time in winter on snowmobile only going 8miles and hour. I did not do that much in winter because i was bothered a lot afterwards. Even now i have low back problems and if i do not watch it acts up. I can push lawn mower no problem, riding lawn mower i pay for it eespcially if bumpy lawn. golfing same thing, can walk 18 with no back spasms, i take cart and i have problems sometimes.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    than a lot of us. I'm an admitted chronic workaholic. I always have to be doing
    something productive to make me feel as I at least accomplished something.
    Sounds like your recovery is going great, just take it easy, you sound like you
    know your limitations so don't over do it. I have a large yard to mow so I do have a tractor but like you I have a fenced area for the dogs. I have a Toro Personal Pace self propelled lawn mower I use for that and wow what a difference that is compared to a regular push mower. The harder you push
    forward on the handle the faster the mower moves, less pressure it is slower.
    Now get busy Griffy, we can't be sitting here doing nothing! ;)
  • It is too soon and you are not Super Woman.....there , did that help sweetie? ;)

Seriously hon , one day at a time....don't over do it or you end up hurting yourself and then you have to start all over again or worse yet , reinjure yourself in a very bad way. I hope you feel better soon... :)
  • Yes, I know my limitations. Problem is I don't seem to work within them!
    Ranger, send that mower on over!
    I do okay on the riding mower if I take it easy and don't power mow }:) Of course, I want to do 5 acres at once and then clean the house and then do laundry.....
    The doc should have given me parameters at 5 weeks and not left the door wide open like that. Yes, I heard him say "take it slow" but this isn't anything compared to what I USED to do.

My husband is going to KILL me when he gets home and sees what I did :jawdrop:

• You've been naughty and now you're paying for it. By the way, I mowed my lawn a couple of weeks ago and got a good wake up call too.

It is so hard to restrain ourselves on the good days. You are only 5 weeks out of major spine surgery. Give yourself a break. I fully believe that staying busy and productive helps us to heal faster, but pick something easier than mowing the lawn! I even found that at 5 weeks with a posterior incision I couldn't fold laundry--felt it in the arms and shoulders--but if I used that energy for washing dishes or preparing a meal I felt much better.

You are totally normal to want to push yourself. Just don't get carried away and hurt yourself. Let your hubby mow the lawn next time!

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • is it with all you women wanting to mow your lawns???? :? I leave that for the hubby... :D
  • But I think it's hard to not push yourself, it's a big trauma to realize that your body doesn't work like it used to and there are things that you just can't do anymore...And then there's the trauma from your surgery, but for stubborn mules (such as myself, lol), it's hard to wrap your head around those limitations and not do what we did before.

Get some rest and I'm here if you need! :)
This discussion has been closed.