Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How soon before you went back to work?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am now 9 days post-op. I caught a cold soon after, so it was hard to gauge my recovery because I just felt crappy all over.

Now as the cold is lifting, my back is really feeling great. I am still very careful, but I am able to do simple things once again - Turn over in bed with ease, put on my shoes and socks, bend over to pick things up off the floor.

The only effects I "think" I have are tingling and numbness in my left leg/foot, and the incision area is sore, so sitting is still problematic.

Truthfully, I have been amazed how how well my recovery has gone. Perhaps I was one of the lucky ones, or my pain was so great for so long, any relief is good relief.

Anyway - I am getting the itch to go back to work. Most of my work is tied to the desk or walking the plant. Am I crazy?

• I went back at 7 weeks. My job requires lots of bending so I had extra time
  • hi, i went back after my micro d at 8 weeks, but 2 weeks were my holidays, however mine was not sucessful and 1 week post op i was having the same pain as i had already reherniated ,hence my fusion exactly 3 weeks ago today which seems to have worked, and i am hoping to be back at work in a little over 3 weeks, all i can say is listen to your body, even though your head says you can do something, your body may say you can't, so be carefull!! x x claire x x
  • I went back after 3 weeks. I have a desk job too, but i wanted to be sure things were a bit more stable first. The first wek back was rough, but I made it. This is my second full week back and I'm doing fine,.. still have some leg pain... nerves haven't healed yet. but all in all, I'm glad to be back, I was getting stir crazy at home watching daytime TV!

What kind of job do you do,... you mentioned walking to the plant.... we may be in the same type of industry? I do machine design.
  • You might want to avoid picking up things bending over.9 days post op is way too early for this activity.
    My NS told me that the highest risk for re-herniation is during the first 6 wks post op.As my mother says,work is not a rabbit to run away...Give your body time to heal.

• Yah Hawk, dont bend over...
    If you need to kneel down on 1 knee and bend at the hips unless you have super strong abs bending over is a no-no bro :jawdrop:
  • Thanks for the advice. I guess I am rushing things huh? It has been so long since my back has felt this good, I feel the need to catch up on things.

I have my first post-op Dr visit on the 16th of this month. So I will relax until then :D