Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe knee pain after a posterior inter body spinal fusion at levels 3,4 and 4,5

PeteCPPeteC Posts: 1
edited 05/17/2015 - 1:04 PM in Recovering from Surgery
I am a 68 fit male diagnosed with severe stenosis at both the above levels.
I had the above operation 12 days ago. I was discharged from hospital on the 6th day after making good progress with my rehab. I can now comfortably walk for 600 metres. 2 days ago I decided to try not having any tramadol which has been my main source of med post hospital, but continued taking paracetamol. I managed ok but didn't have a very comfortable night with some pain evident in my arthritic right knee (the result of a rugby accident when I was only 20) and perhaps some general discomfort because I was a tad constipated.
The following day I continued without the tramadol but did have one tab before going to bed. The pain in my arthritic knee became unbearable so I took a sevradol and got a reasonable night's rest. Pain from the surgery and lower back in general was minimal.
I wonder if anyone else has experienced something similar or can add any enlightenment on what has happened. I wondered if because my surgery and previous lower back pain were 'on the mend' the pain was somehow being 'transferred' to another 'weak' spot? Wierd I know, but there doesn't appear to be anything I have done to bring on the knee pain rush. When moving around and resting during the day, the knee pain isn't bad at all.
I was told a long time ago that I would eventually need a knee joint replacement but have managed things ok up until now.

• Probably just a coincidence but I'm having the same problem. I had my fusion 1 1/2 years ago and afterwards my right knee started hurting. I had X-rays which showed bone on bone arthritis. I had Synvisk injections which helped a lot for a while. Then my shoulder started killing me. I ended up getting a shoulder replacement in January. Now my knee is killing me again and the injections didn't help this time. My doctor has told me there's nothing left to do but a knee replacement. I'm trying to put it off for a while. I can't stand the thought of another surgery!
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil