Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

drop foot

ViolinMMVViolinMM Posts: 1
edited 05/17/2015 - 4:08 AM in Pain Management
Hi I had surgury in Jan for a herniated disk. It caused drop foot in my left foot I can move my foot and toes but still have numbness and can't walk on my heels yet or have much balance on that foot. But have had some Physical therapy and doing home exercises but is it gonna ev er go away completely or should I be concerned?

Thanks Meredith

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    edited 05/18/2015 - 9:46 AM
    What did your doctor say when you asked him?

Everyone is so individual. Doctor is really only one to best guide you....and or reassure you.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• What did your surgeon tell you regarding the foot drop?
    Nerve pain and injury can take some months to recover from, and it sounds like there have been some improvement since the surgery.
    Your best option would be to continue to work hard at physical therapy, and strengthening the muscles around the foot and ankle and give it some time.

• I can't predict your future or tell you whether or not to be concerned. I can say that I've dealt and lived with something very similar since 2011. In the spring of that year I fell, fracturing my L3 and herniating the discs above and below. Aside from the pain, the most troubling symptom for me was loss of feeling and control in muscles from my right buttock down through my foot when I would stand for more than 10-15 minutes.

My decision to have a micro-D on L3/L4 was based mostly on the numbness/control symptoms. Immediately after surgery my pain level was a lot better and the numbness was gone. I was rear ended at about 40mph ten days after surgery. The pain returned in full force immediately and the numbness came shortly thereafter. A fresh MRI showed the accident essentially put me right back where I was before surgery.

The numbness has stayed since 2012. Sometimes its better and sometimes it worse. Some days I barely notice it and other days I can't walk anywhere without going numb. Pain is pretty much a 24/7 journey and I'm working through all of the non-invasive methods I can without going through the roof with meds. I can be at least somewhat mobile on the worst pain days but numbness got to the point of not being able to walk.

I'd think that you need to ask your doc why this numbness came after surgery. Does the disc operated on and corresponding nerve root match up with where your numbness is? If so, it might just be a matter of waiting on the healing process. If not, there may be some more serious questions to ask of your doc.

Take care
    Ken S
  • chop my leg offcchop my leg off British ColumbiaPosts: 56
    One year for me and I still have no motor control or feeling.  Except peripheral neuropathy pain from all this which is as bad or worse than the back pain
    L5S1..2 microdisectomies in 30 days maybe one more on the agenda. 4 bulged discs and one of them loves my spinal canal X2 :/ and a compression fracture . And now scar tissue wrapped around the nerve causing horrible neuropathy all over again.   VICIOUS CIRCLE :(