Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help in understanding diagnosis

OneskiOOneski Posts: 3
edited 05/17/2015 - 4:08 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I suffered a rather severe C-7-T-1 herniated disk last week. There was no singular event that caused the hernia. I woke up one morning and after showering developed debilitating pain in my neck, left shoulder blade, and radiating pain down my left arm. An MRI showed "A moderately large and globular, left postoralateral disk herniation is characteristic of recent extrusion , nearly filling the left foramen and causing significant compression of the left side of the cord. No evidence of cord edema or myelomalacia."

Can anyone explain in lay terms what the findings show? I started off in major pain for 4 days that began to subside slightly in the past few days. I've been on medrol steroid packs, Tramadol, and methacarbonal for muscle relaxer. The meds (along with ice packs every hour) reduced the pain to mild to moderate. The pain level shoots up as I near 7 hours and the pain pills begin to wear off.

I've also been twice to a trusted chiropractor that has been given me considerable relief.

I know the next step is an epidural/spinal block, which I'm not adverse to doing, but I to get an idea of the extent of the damage to my disk, nerve bundle, etc...And more importantly I want to know If surgery is more than likely going to be required and how long I can expect to make a full recovery. I'm very active, (running, hiking, waterskiing, working out) and want to know how quickly I can lick this thing and get back to a normal life.

Thanks for anyone's help!

• Yr disc has ruptured and its material has gone out from its normal space and is narrowing your left foramen. This is what is propably causing U pain and strange sensations. Don't worry. See yr doctor and physical therapists, follow their instructions and yr disc will heal with time and stop protruding. It's happened to me with severral discs and I got better.
  • I am schedule for an epidural shot on Friday. I've read mixed reviews on the effectiveness of the cortisone/nerve block shots. I have a Physiatrist performing the procedure on a fluoroscopy machine, so hopefully the accuracy of the needle placement will be good. What are the odds I'll get relief from the injection given the severity of the herniated disk at C-7/T-1?

Also, I have a really competent Chiropractor read my MRI and tell me I have a herniated disk that most likely will heal on its own, while my Ortho Surgeon read the same MRI and said it was a ruptured disk. Is there a difference between a herniated disk and a ruptured disk?