Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had lower back surgery at the beginning of March L1 - L4

showbesshowbe Posts: 6
edited 05/17/2015 - 4:08 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had surgery on my lower back L1 - L4 and had 2 screws and a plate put in my spine. The doctor made and incision about 6 inches near my obliques/Abs when I was in surgery to put in the screws/plate. I am a male 143 pounds, turning 26 years old in July if that makes any difference.

I have been wearing a back brace for almost 6 weeks and was wondering how long it would take for a recovery. I was told I could take the brace off in 6 weeks but with all the pain meds I was on I dont quite remember exactly when he said I would be fully healed.

I still have the back brace on as I still feel a little pain and when I cough or have any sort of gag reflex I will feel a little pain in my abs where the incision was done at. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and got out on the 4/14/15. I had leg pain in my right leg below the incision but that has resided.

Can anyone give me an idea of when things will be back to normal and if I should continue to keep the brace on for another month? I read a couple threads but they were for surgerys that looked much more intensive than mine as they had to do with the mid and lower spine.

I didn't receive any instructions for any follow up or any physical therapy either. They just gave me about 30 dilaudid to take home and that was it.

• You should call your doctors office and ask your questions as each case is different.
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil