Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Did that doctor really just say that!?

I have a disease called I.C. Or some know it as painful bladder syndrome. They don't know what causes it or how to stop it. The doctors in my small town don't know much about it all. I have a team of urologist in Nashville, Tn. And none of them agree on the cause. I did learn from Mayo Clinic that it is actually a chronic pain disease and the bladder is just where it starts destroying the lining and causing scar tissue. As it progresses they said it will "copy" several chronic pain disorders i.e: i.b.s, fibromilagia, lupus (which it is a former of auto immune disease) etc. The only treatment is done by cath inserted and medicine put directly into bladder...so I was at my primary getting labs done for pain pump trial and I was just having a bad day. I go from anger to sad..I just can't wrap my mind around the fact they can't just cure this and I was venting this to my p.c. and she said,"you don't have to get the pump. Pain won't kill you." Seriously?! It's hard enough dealing with my whole life being taken away and having seizures from lack of sleep and the guilt that I can't be the mother,wife and b.f. that I use to be but having your doctor tell u "we can tamper you off all that medicine they (Vanderbilt and pain management ) have you on and you won't be so tired and can be a better mom to your kids again." I left in tears. There is not judgement ppl can have towards me that I haven't already mentally beaten myself up about...I wish I could never go to a doctor again and get my freedom back. I am dealing withat enough and now I feel like I have burdened my doctor. How messed up is that?

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,807
    If they have never walked in your shoes they don't know including doctors. "Pain won't kill you is a subjective response as of now they are beginning to learn many new things about what uncontrolled pain does to the mind and body over time and while it may not kill you it can shorten your life span untreated properly. Chronic pain has led many to suicide in average people, former pro athletes, ex marines, veterans etc, but yes the final choice was the persons but chronic pain played a large part in that decisison and clouded rational thinking, my god there is neurological disorders nicknamed the suicide disease since so many people would rather commit suicide than live with that level of pain from that particular disorder. So the doctor is right pain will not instantly kill you but it may kill your will to live and do many many other terrible things to the human body over time . Over time new things will be discovered in regards to pain that will disprove many theories or beliefs on its and change so may things. The human brain and pain are two things that their inner workings still have so much room for discovery
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    There is a Buddhist saying, "Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional." I had been told that throughout much of my life until a doc told me, "Well why did they allow you to suffer so much?" So now I have a team helping me do away with suffering and I get a lot of strength for that right here on these forums.

Horrible of me to think but let's see how much your former doctor can withstand in pain before she screams "enough"! Pain will cause a person to lose their will to live! I am also blown away by the fact that I keep hearing "there is no cure....' "We have treatments that may help..." BS! (And getting angry helps!) Make sure your doctors know that you are willing to treat this pain aggressively and you want them to join in the fight or step away.

We're here to help! You won't have to feel alone again!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • My doctor that is putting the pump in called so see if I was having headaches from the trial. I told him what my primary said and he simply said,"time to look for a new primary." I battled not going on pain management for years and I have been wondering how much of it is "us" and how much of it is us afraid how the world will see us. We all know there is a huge stigma that comes with pain. thank you all for your support.