Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Low back/hip/buttock pain with rectal reflex

CzechgirlCCzechgirl Posts: 4
edited 05/19/2015 - 6:05 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello all,

I have been lurking on this forum for months. I am a 28 year old female from Texas who has a desk job. I have been dealing with this back pain in my low right part of my back for 6 months now. I had an MRI in January that showed minimal protrusion at L4-5 and then moderate to severe herniation at L5-S1 with the disc leaking touching the left nerve root (which is weird cause my right hurts).

Also I have this EMBARRASSING symptom that I have searched long and hard online and cannot find one person with the same symptom, atleast admitting they have this symptom. So my sit bone hurts as well. If I sit on a hard surface and lean right on to the affected sit bone.. it causes a reflex in my rectal area. Almost like I am passing gas and its only on the one side.
I have gone to 2 othos and they both have been extremely rude and charged the highest level office visit to my insurance for only being in there for 2 minutes TOPS. So I am trying to find someone because I think these issues are interconnected.

I am currently seeing a chiro and I can't really tell a difference yet, but I do feel good at least the day of adjustment. I haven't had children yet and this was going to be my year to try... but with this back pain its getting really hard.

If anyone has any insight, please let me know.

Thank you soooo much!

• With a large herniation it is not a good idea to allow adjustments to your spine. Even a minor herniation can become far more serious because of chiropractic adjustments.
    The best option is to again consult with a board certified spine surgeon , and have a frank honest discussion about all of your symptoms.
    Nerves from the lumbar region do have effect on the bladder and bowels.

• Thank you Sandi. The chiropractor said he would send me to a neurosurgeon for a second opinion and too many doctors out there want to upcharge and do unneccesary procedures ( I am in the medical industry and completely agree with him as I have seen my fair share of upcoding from previous jobs). I should have also mentioned I am VERY opposed to surgery unless its a medical emergency. I had a Cspine fusion at 18 for no reason but it was a medical emergency as I could not use my arm.

The problem I am facing is with Orthopedic doctors. I am wondering if a neurologist will be able to help me perhaps with the pain and give an honest opinion. I am at a loss of what type of doctor to now proceed to. Seems like in this day and age half the battle is trying to find a good doctor.

Thanks again Sandi!