Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 weeks post fusion Ironing?

Hi can anybody help me with some information please. I had a fusion at L5 S1 3 weeks ago. I am feeling OK tapering down meds but quite tired still. I have looked on the net but can't seem to find an answer, at present I am not under a physiotherapist. Can any one tell me when is it OK to resume light ironing sitting down? Poor husband is working full time and is finding it difficult to keep on top of the chores. He's not lazy he has his own health issues and he's 64 soon to retire. If it's going to be some time before ironing is allowed I will employ someone to do it as it's a job too far for him! The trouble is I've only ever worked part time or not at all and he's been rather spoilt!

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    You had a recent surgery and I would think still under the care of your surgeon.

Please ask doctor to explain activities and or limitations....and when how you will be able to resume activities.

Doctor knows you best and also he will not want his work spoiled.....and neither do you.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I am 3 weeks post op from cervical Distectomy and fusion, and I did some ironing yesterday. Ironed 4 items and did ok. My lifting limit is 8 lbs so the iron was ok. I just took my time and did it slowly.
    With low back surgery i don't know what limitations are but I would think ironing would be less of an issue, especially doing it sitting since the surgical site is low back, as opposed to neck. But if in doubt, check with your doctor.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,858
    edited 05/21/2015 - 5:45 AM
    You dont want to create any complications.

Listen to what Savage is saying...Give it time... Ask your doctor before you start to do anything new. . Savage has been there, she understands.

While Blessed Mom means well, I would not follow her post in terms of what was ok for her.. But she also added, please talk to your doctor first.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • While something may work for one person it may not work for another. I was just sharing my experience, but I always say, when in doubt...don't do it and call your doctor.
  • Thanks for all your replies. I now have a P.T. appointment for June 8th so I will ask about restrictions then. But I take your point I do not want to undo all the good this fusion has done. After being in increasing pain over the past 3 years I am totally pain free and terrified the bubble will burst and i will be in pain again. The problem here in the UK is ,you are sent out of hospital with a tiny pamphlet of exercises to do and next to no further information. And you are not still under your surgeon as such. The next time you see them, or are in contact is at your follow up x-ray and I have no idea when that is here. Which is crazy considering the amount of money that has been spent on putting you right. In the grand scheme of things ironing is hardly important and I need to concentrate on getting my self well. Thank you and I mean it sincerely ,for the smack on the wrist and reminding me what is important.