Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Left paracentral disc sequestration L5

markus1001mmarkus1001 Posts: 4
Im in a lot of pain and sometimes get sciatica , i cant work because sometimes its too bad .

i got my MRI scan results today and doctor just prescribes medicine. 1st is an antidepressant and other is something for nerve pain.
Ideally i'd like surgery but not sure if i can get this free in the uk without first spending a long time on medicine , i dont really want to be talking antidepressants as im not generally depressed.
any advice would be appreciated

amitriptyline 10mg - one at night
Gabapentin 100mg one three times a day

results

There is established disc degeneration at L4/L5 - Mild disc degeneration in others
At l4/l5 there is a left parcentral disc sequestration which compresses the descending left L5 nerve root.
there is no spinal canal compression
there is no significant disc bulge or protrusion at l2/l3 , L3/L4 and at L1/S1

There is nobody on the forum medically qualified to advise on an MRI finding all responses will be members own experiences

Spine-health moderator

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,910
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

IMPORTANT

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

dilauro

liz

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

awalsh

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi I'm in UK too. Firstly amitriptyline it is also used as a muscle relaxant. If it makes you feel too hung over the next day ask for noritryptline which I find gives me no hang over effect next day. Gabepentine is also used for nerve pain they have to be increased gradually and decreased in the same way. I see you have compression of the L5 nerve route. In the UK they are very slow to act on nerve compression which is stupid as the longer the nerve is compressed the more damage it does. All I can suggest is you go back to your G.P. and asked to be referred to a neurosurgeon not an orthapeadic surgeon which they may try and fob you off with. The waiting list is generally long I paid privately to see a neurosurgeon it cost over £300. I then still waited 11 months, 4 months of which were on the urgent list ,before I had a fusion at L5 S1. I had a slippage of the spine which was trapping the nerves. By the time I went for surgery I could hardly walk and was having some very bad falls.I am 3 weeks post fusion and feel great. There is a wealth of information on these pages get yourself educated on your condition . So that you can fight your corner your G.P is just that he does not have in depth knowledge of your condition. Good Luck.
    jill55
  • Thanks for your reply , yes im going to have to learn as much about it as possible because i know that this medication is not going to work long term.
    Its affecting my abilty to work.
    I will need to do some research so i can put something in writing to my g.p and hopefully get surgery on nhs.
    Id appreciate any more comments or links that explain my results

thanks
  • Hi I did have my surgery on NHS. Hence the 11 month wait! i enquired about going privately but my consultant said the cost of the hardware alone was huge. We do tend to spend longer in hospital in the UK than in USA I was told 3-4 days but my consultant was happy for me to stay longer if I had wanted . I guess they are all different. I live in Plymouth my surgeon is reputed to be one of the best in the country and I feel after my op he is compared to other peoples results on my ward. PM me if you would like his name as under the NHS you can ask to see who you like. I was told for more than 20 years I had a sacrolliactic problem and to rest my back . When in actual fact the spine had never grown properly in the first place. At least you have had an MRI difficult enough to get here , so you are some way to getting some treatment once you get past the ignorance of your G.P ! Have a good Bank Holiday weekend and rest that back.
    jill55
  • Thanks pm sent

lol i have no choice but to rest my back this weekend as its playing up again . i had mild sciatica a few weeks ago
    i got back to normal and then tried to repair a roof and knackered it again
    Im supposed to start a new job on 1st june as an Lgv ( hgv ) driver but not sure if i will be able to
    i cant afford any private treatment so it looks like i will have to get my GP to refer me to a neurosurgeon.
    i think microdiscectomy would be the way forward.
  • Another thing im interested to find out about is what is actually happening in the l4/l5 area that makes the pain come and go .
    ie it can be fairly ok for a couple of weeks then something i do like lifting or running will trigger off the pain and i have to rest a week or two untill the nerve pain / sciatica goes away.
    im wondering does the disc part that touches the nerve expand more for a while after its aggravated or is it the nerves or muscles around it that change during the times im in pain.
    Ive also noticed that heat/cold can increase the problem as a few weeks ago lying in a sauna for 20 mins triggered it off and i could just about get home from the gym.
advertisement