Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Osteoarthritis, Bone Spurs, Surgery or Epidural Injections?

KarenKGKKarenKG Posts: 1
edited 05/21/2015 - 6:54 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello Everyone - I am so glad I found this site! Just reading the threads has helped me feel like I'm not so alone in this. I'm a 49 year old female. I've had a "crick in my neck" and headaches in the bottom of my head/top of my neck, ringing in my ears for I don't know how long. About 3 or 4 months ago my right thumb also became numb. At work and when driving, my right arm will sometimes get numb/tingly; to the point that I switched my computer mouse to the left side. I get relief when I hold my hand up above my head. I have gone to a chiropractor (didn't help-actually felt worse so after a few visits I stopped going). He took x-rays and told my that I have DDD and spondylosis.

My PCC ordered an MRI which showed dessication of the disc material at all levels; discogenic spurring and moderate right foraminal narrowing at C2-3, spurring and moderate right & mild left foraminal stonosis at C3-4; Discogenic spurring and a disc protrusion resulting in severe right foraminal stenosis and moderate degenerative left foraminal narrowing at C5-6; and finally, a minimal midline disc protrusion with mild degenerative bilateral foraminal stenosis at C6-7. She (PCC) told me that she believed that surgery was in my future, albeit maybe not the immeidiate future, and referred me to a neurosurgeon.

The Neurosurgeon told me that PT and injections would not help me as a bone spur is compressing on one of my nerves. I needed surgery, ACDF on C5-7, and he said I needed it now, rather than later. When I asked him just what that meant, he replied - "just have the d**n surgery". Needless to say, I will NOT be going to him for surgery. I didn't care for his attitude. I have gone to another spine center and seen a Physiatrist. He agreed that PT would not help me; but said that it wasn't unreasonable for me to want to try Steroid Epidural Injections. He said that I should know after the first injection whether that would help or not. I plan to have the first injection in a week. If this doesn't work, I will be referred to another Neurosurgeon and I think I will ask about foraminotomy opposed to an ACDF surgery.

I am so confused. From all my research, it sounds like what I am basically dealing with is arthritis of the spine. Although I am only 49, and most articles I have read say this usually first occurs in people over 60.

I have tried prednisone, flexeril, ibuprofen, naproxen, tylenol. None of these seem to help.

It is odd, but the numbness in my thumb has all but gone away, and haven't had any numbness in my arm for a few days. The pain in my neck is constant; sometimes a dull ache, sometimes a sharp pain. Also have pain at my right shoulder blade.

I would like to hear from others that may have similar issues. I don't even know whether I should have injections now that I have virtually no numbness. Or maybe I should "just have the surgery".

Thanks for listening.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    It is good you are seeing a different neurosurgeon. You seem to have great attitude in not taking first neurosurgeon personally..with his lack of wanting to take time to explain everything to you.

You just persevered and went on for different opinions.

I understand the researching and wanting to understand what is happening to our bodies, but without medical training, all we may discover is that we are more confused and it leads to more questions.

Communication with doctor very important. I would tell my doctor all symptoms and then how some symptoms have lessened..or changed..or whatever the case should be.

Doctor will be able to explain why this has happened. He should also be able to explain in ways you can understand why you may...or may not need surgery. I usually have list of concerns with me at appointment. Doctor then can guide you and or reassure you with your concerns and or confusion.

Doctor knows you best! If others were to respond with ..have the surgery....it is because that is..was..their experience. Treatments successful for one could be problematic for another.
    It is not your experience. You and your doctor are very best for making right decision for you.

Wish you all the best.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History