Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need your advice about getting a 2nd surgery????

simplyamyssimplyamy Posts: 1
edited 05/21/2015 - 7:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
First off, thank you for taking a few minutes to read my story and hopefully leave a reply to help me make a sound decision. :/

My first surgery was 5 years ago in 2010 almost to the day. I had lower back pain with pain radiating down my legs. MRI report: At L5-S1, there is a large central disc protrusion which indents the ventral aspect of the thecal sac and may abut the bilateral S1 nerve roots. Mild facet and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy are seen bilaterally which contribute to moderate narrowing of both neural foramina and mild central canal stenosis. I tried PT, ESI (3), pain mgmt. with no relief. So surgery was next. The procedures performed were Lumbar Laminotomy and Foraminotomy including Partial Facetectomy with decompression of the nerve roots and disc decompression left L5/S1. I was back at home that afternoon. Went back to work within 6 weeks. Have had a few limitations but overall a success and very happy I did it.

A few months ago, the lower back pain started back up not 100% what caused it. I believe when I was boating one day (the once in a blue moon time I go on a boat) I lost my footing and slipped but didn't fall. The pain radiates down my left butt side to the outside of my thigh including burning sensations and Charlie horse feeling sometimes in my calf as well. I have also experienced sharp pain in my groin area on the left when I sit with my legs criss crossed for too long and then can't put any pressure on my left leg without severe pain. After I let it rest awhile, the pain subsides. I can't stand or walk for longer than 15 mins or so without the lower back pain extremely increasing or am taking pain meds (Norco or Naproxen with Gabapentin) which I do my best not to since I am still working and driving. When I sit, I have a hard time finding a comfortable position to alleviate the pain, burning, charlie horse, etc. in my left leg and back.

I have had an MRI done: L4-L5 minimal diffuse disc bulge. There is moderately prominent bilateral facet hypertrophy. no evidence for canal or foraminal stenosis. L5-S1 mild diffuse annular bulging and moderately severe bilateral facet hypertrophy. Findings lead to mild-to-moderate left foraminal stenosis without right foraminal stenosis. And a perineural sheath cyst at S2.

I have consulted with 2 spine surgeons who have both said (in my layman terms) I have overgrown facet joints due to arthritis degenerative disease which is causing a tiny space for the nerve and the disc is bulging into that space which is to the far left. They both have said since I have had surgery before, fusion would be the option since removing additional bone will make the area unstable. I have also spoken with a registered nurse who said the same thing.

I have tried 2 Transforaminal Epidural Steroid Injections and pain mgmt. and no significant relief. The pain mgmt. doc for the injections said not to bother with the third if the first 2 didn't give me significant relief and to go back and see the spine surgeon. I do have an appointment on June 1 for a consult. I have been working from home half time since driving for 45 each way would not be fun.

I am leaning towards getting the fusion but would love to learn about my peer's experiences and or opinions from professionals. I know everyone is unique but need help deciding what to do and I have read several forums on this website and all of you seem so informative and supportive.

Thank you!!!! :)

Please remember that there are no medical professionals on the forum side of this site. Everything you read is based on member's personal experiences. For medical advice, you need to consult your doctor.

-- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator 05/21/15

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    As stated above, decision for surgery is your with doctors opinions, as they know you best.

I wanted to ask about you crossing your legs.
    I have not crossed my legs in years. My utmost thought is always to stay aligned.

You might want to double check with doctor re activities, pre and post op....even a seemingly benign activity as crossing ones legs.

I wish you the best in your pain control....and with your decision re surgery
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I had the same 3 surgeries and five months later I am in extreme pain. the surgeon who did the work says there is nothing more he can do. Other surgeons say just keep waiting for the nerves to heal. I am really lost and hope you can say if you had another surgery and if it solved the problem. Thanks so much/