Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone have double-crush syndrome?

ranchoalmostarranchoalmosta Posts: 120
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My OS says I have double crush syndrome, being that I have carpal tunnel syndrome plus cervical radiculopathy. I think basically the carpal tunnel wouldn't be noticeable if the cervical issues didn't exist. I mentioned to him that my hand was tingling more lately, and he said he'd like to do surgery on it. Well, last night I was experimenting with with trying to stop the tingling by moving the position of my head and it worked! Seems obvious the cervical issues have a big impact. The carpal tunnel showed on my EMG, otherwise I would not have known, but I'm not sure surgery is warranted on the arm at this point, so I'm holding off. My NS told me several months ago that the carpal tunnel wasn't severe enough to warrant surgery, but that I didn't need to worry about that since my OS was not one to jump into surgery.

Also, my OS told me to quit taking my Voltaren (NSAID) for a month because it isn't something I should be taking long term. I haven't taken it for about 6 days now so my symptoms are much more noticeable. Many times I'd like to take some but if it's better for my body and I can live without it, why take it? Well, because I'd be much more comfortable instead of feeling like I've been beat up!

• I have a double crush with lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow), cervical radiculopathy, DDD, cervical stenosis C4-5, 5-6, 6-7 etc.
    I was told years ago I had CTS, but after having my EMG found out, nope, it's cervical.
    My Ortho was going to schedule elbow surgery because I also had MRI of elbow showing tear and cyst, but PT said WHOA, something is going on. Had the cervical MRI on 6/10 and WOW, what a ride it's been since then!
    Two MRI, EMG,NCV, PT, 2 CESI's (1 did not work, 1 made things worse), met with neurosurgeon's PA and have appt with "the man" on the 17th. Ortho says elbow surgery will come after spine surgery.
  • If you didn't put it there, how'd it get there? Is there a ghost in here? Oooooooo

Yep, that's what my doc said, it's two things going on at once causing the same set of symptoms. Sorta. I was just wondering if anyone else had experience with this.

I'm just thinking, if moving my head makes the symptoms go away, then how much impact would operating on my arm have? Sounds kinda iffy to me. Right now it's just tingly sometimes so I'm not really going to worry too much unless it gets much worse. Except, it is such a pain in the a**, er, I should say arm, on my vanpool because of the position I am crammed into. I fall asleep and wake up hurting like 5 times each trip.
  • I just heard that phrase for the 1st time when I was at physio a few weeks ago. We discussed the lingering issues with my left leg and I told my PT about an incident I had 10-12 years ago. Back then I was taking Karate lessons and one day noticed that my left knee and lower left leg felt numb. After seeing my doc and a PT we concluded that I must have stretched a nerve in my back. The feeling came back in my knee & leg after approximately 3 months of PT.

Now with my c-spine problems and the cord being compressed at C4-5, the symptoms to my left leg were quite similar, except to higher degree. Immediately after surgery I noticed an improvement with my leg. However, the tingling and intermittent numbness has never completely gone away. So we wondered if the nerves were having difficulty healing since this same nerve was damaged..in a differnt spot...so long ago.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else knows anything about this topic.
  • ranchoalmosta

My hands where going numb before my ACDF and I thought was from my neck too. Post surgery was still going numb and NS said my EMG showed it was cause by carpal tunnel. It only happens when i sleep though, so he told me if I cannot sleep with my hands unbent then he would get me night splints to keep my wrist from bending. I did notice i slept with my hands bent a lot. So since i'm aware of it, i try and not sleep with wrist bent so severly. I wake up with a lot less numbness now but still not convinecded its all carpal tunnel.
  • My hands do that at night too but I only have carpal tunnel in the left. I wear a splint on it at night. I have been trying to figure out if it's from my hands being bent or from my neck position. I think it's my hands being bent so don't think it's a big deal. Maybe I'll get a splint for the right hand as well. But, I do know there are times my neck position causes the numbness. That can't be good.

Did you have other problems that warranted your surgery? I'm just not convinced carpal tunnel surgery is going to help all that much. Need to talk more with my doc. Although I understand his point that we should try to fix the easy stuff first.
  • Oh sounds like you knew about the sleeping with bent hands.
    I has severe herniation C6-C7 with radiculopathy in shoulder and weakness in arm. I do the samething try and just move my neck if hands are numb. Sometimes it goes unnumb if i just move neck, and sometime i have to move my hand??
  • Robert,
    I do the same thing. I try to see which movement takes away the numbness. It depends on my position. Sometimes it seems to be my hand or arm position, sometimes the neck.

What has your doc said about this? Can you give any other info?
  • He just told me if it was really bothering me we would try the night splints and that the EMG showed i had carpal tunnel. Said it was not worth investagating anymore since it was really not causing me to drop things or symtoms durning the day.
    so i guess it could be a combination of neck and carpal tunnel.
    For whatever reason I only notice it about 3 nights a week now rather than several times every night.
  • Wow some really good questions to ask when i go in Aug. I have numbness and pain in both my arms. I know notice my neck has a lot of pain. Was just in Anchorage 2 weeks ago for possible carpal tunnel and the emg said everything was good. They gave me a tentative diagnosis of TOS. I get woken up at night from pain in my arms to the point where i have to hold them to my chest. So far moving my neck has no affect in pain. Do any of you have your arms go numb when you cross them if you are standing? Mine do. Also has anybody had there collar bone pop like your cracking knuckles. My right has done it numerous times and it hurt and goes numb for awhile.
  • Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, right? What kind of test do you need to pin that one down? My OS send me for the EMG and NCV tests to rule out TOC. They did rule it out but found carpal tunnel when I didn't know I had it.

I haven't had the popping my my collar bone you talk about but have had strange achings there and in my shoulder occasionally for years. I'm kinda wondering now if it was my cervical issues sneaking up. Who knows.

I haven't gotten numbness in my arms from crossing them, but I get it if I bend my arm at the elbow and rest it on my desk. I'm finding that bending my hand at the wrist isn't the only thing that makes my arm go tingly anymore. It's weird. I'm not due to go back to the doctor for 3 months so I might have to call and ask him questions.
  • From what my uncle has told me a regular x-ray will tell. But they will do a mri and x-ray in Aug. Will see a neurosurgeon also. Hang in there. Can't rain all the time.
This discussion has been closed.