Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain management

am having oral surgery. % teethe must be cut out and 6 more pulled to get dentures. I signed a pain contrat so I did not want to get in trouble with my pain dr. I called. His nurse first told me to take the patch off and take the dentist pain meds. Then she checked and hung up on me. I called back and she told me under no circumstances can I take any pain meds. I asked what am I gonna do if I hurt like the devil. She said call them back between office hours. OK I was in shower she called back. I returned the call and she wanted to tell me again that under no circumstance can I take any pain meds. Do not go to the ER either and get meds. This made me mad and I told her if I would have know this I would not have paid 800 dollars to get this dental work. I would just keep the teeth. I told he I wasn't gonna get them pulled. Now I cant get my money back so I have to go one with the rest of the surgery at 2pm today. Am I wrong or should there be a middle ground here. She never said come see us or we won't let you hurt, it may not be that bad. All she kept telling me was no matter how bad I hurt no pain meds. I wonder if she actually talked to my doctor. He knows my teeth have n
been bad a lon g time;. Some body tell me what you think I should do. Should I put off the surgery and try to talk to my doctor or have it and bear the pain??????

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    compare having oral surgery with spinal surgery. Oral is more acute oriented, while spinal problems tend to be chronic.

Based on this, I find it difficult to provide you with any valuable responses.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I had over 20 teeth pulled and dentures placed last year-it was a last min thing and I didn't tell my PM about it at my last appt-but I did call and told them-I will say that I am lucky that I have a pretty great PM doc along with great staff-that said, due to my contract I could not get any pain meds from the dentist-my PM told me I could take 2 extra Norco if I needed to and they would change my start date of meds based on how many days I needed to take more.

I really wasn't in all that much pain and only needed to take extra meds for 3 days-I talked to the dentist and he gave me a non-narcotic topical gel to place on my gums for pain. Since I was already on both long and short acting pain meds I really didn't need that much extra to start with-my regular mes took care of it on the most part-especially since the dental issue was an acute issue and not chronic....You know what they say about Acute pain....It will feel better once it stops hurting.....lol....and lucky for acute pain it generally is for a short amount of time...not trying to make light of your pain so please don't get me wrong-This is just based on my personal experience with getting 20 teeth pulled within an hour-for me, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be pain wise anyway.

Everyday it got better and within 7-10 days I could eat simi-solid food and within 6mo I was sure glad I did-bad teeth hurt to start with and it limits what you can eat and getting your smile back is worth a million bucks IME....

Good luck, hang in there-see if you can get a topical non-narcotic pain gel for your gums from the dentist, rinse with warm salt water, if okay with your dentist-I could as long as I had my denture in place (the places where I got the injections to numb hurt more than the tooth extraction site) stock up on soup, mashed potatoes, ice cream and get you a malt on your way home, ice pack can help and OTC pain meds work great too (anything but aspirin).

What ever you do.....don't burn bridges with your PM-especially the staff.....as DiLauro stated.....dental is Acute and spinal is chronic......

Again good luck
  • I am glad to say that my dentist turned out to know my pain doctor. He called him and told him that I HAD to have some short acting pain meds. I heard him tell the PM dr that the patch was not working very well since he could barely give me the numbing shots. (It was horrible, I tried to be a good girl but I was backing up out of the chair it hurt so bad in places) PM doctor gave dentist OK to give hydrocodone @20 count. I got agood nights sleep and feel OK. Feel good considering what I did yesterday. My theth crumbled instead of coming out whole Dentist said dry mouth makes teeth do this. I said looks like they'd make a pill for it, theyd make money. Dentist said there is a pill for dry mouth but medical drs forget to give it. They have so much to consider they forget about our teeth. I will ask for this medication and maybe I can keep my lower teeth. Thanks for all the ehlp. JEAN2Lr
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    edited 05/23/2015 - 6:58 PM
    I know dental pain and it's scary and overwhelming. I have a bunch of teeth that need attention but I just cannot face a dentist or possible criticism. I too have horrible dry mouth from all these medications.

What I did want to mention though, I broke my thumb several weeks ago. Because of the other meds I am on for various pain I needed no additional pain for the thumb. It just sort of aches although it's a nasty break. Remember, pain meds control the pain neural pathways and shut them down. You may experience no additional pain with your dental work. For me, fear is much worse than pain!

I have learned a lot by watching videos about pain on YouTube.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)