Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Shampoo in a salon and therapeutic massage after ACDF

Ladies and Gents

Can anyone share your experience on getting Shampoo in a salon after ACDF? I am bald but believe it or not, I go to Supercut and get what's left of my hair cut and I really enjoy shampooing because she massage my scalp/head. but I have to lay back onto a sink and it bend my neck. Not sure can I do that safely in the future and I forgot to ask my surgeon couple of days ago.

Also on therapeutic massage, did you lay down different (face up , face down) and if there is any limitation on how they work on your neck. I LOVE massages, I might ask for a sit up shoulder and upper back massage next time.

• Personally I would be afraid to lay back in those hard salon sinks any time soon. That was one of the most painful things for me pre-op. I would wait a little longer on that.
    Also, I have the same worries with massage. My husband scheduled me a massage because my back and neck is so spasmmed and tight, but I am afraid of laying face down, so I opted for a chair massage instead. I will let you know how that goes. I will probably tell her to leave my neck alone. Just focus on my back.
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 552
    I have had 2 neck fusion surgeries. One through the front of neck, and 2nd one through the back of neck. I can tell you that it is very difficult to lay back in a salon chair to get shampooed. My daughter in law is a hairdresser & has her own salon. She puts extra towels for padding along the spot where your neck goes. Once I lay back & get positioned right, it does feel good to get a scalp massage.
    I would ask your doctor, just to be safe.
  • pre op but I coud not find anything against it so I did and my head didn't fall off and I did feel better. With all the drama of me finding out my diagnosis and the treatment I will need getting my neck to relax a little caused me to burst into tears. Good Lord! So embarrasing. Still it was very nice.

• I go in for massages on a weekly basis. My massage therapist asked that I wait 6 weeks out before going to her. I would ask your surgeon about specific limitations, for example my neurosurgeon won't allow my massage therapist to do any deep tissue massage but she can do just a general massage. My massage therapist has me laying face up and the only thing she watches out for is how much pain I'm in. If it hurts too much (never has) then she will back off a little bit.