Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any Information on Bone Graph Sites?

Hi There,

I am just wondering if anyone has had a bone graph taken from there hip and how they are healing? I am on the waiting list to get a 2 level cervical fusion and they will be taking two parts of my right hip and placing them in my neck. I know a lot of surgeons now use cadaver bones instead of the patience own bone, but I have had so many reactions to medications and injections that my surgeon decided to use my own to make sure I fuse. I am having a hard time finding information about the healing of the bone graph site. I was very very active before my neck issue and I am really looking forward to returning to an active life and wondering if my hip will give me any issues. I am 28 healthy other than having DDD.

Any advise?

• Hi Rachel,

I had a right iliac crest bone graft for my two level 360 fusion in 2013. I won't lie, the residual radiating "heat" type pain at the graft site persisted for almost 6 months post fusion. But it eventually went away and I can say I am fully fused and the bone graft worked beautifully!

Just be patient with your body. Patient's bodies typically need extra healing time at the bone graft sites but the end result is more reliable and not prone to overgrowth as with the synthetic bone graft tissue.

Good luck!
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • 1028761102876 Posts: 248
    edited 05/25/2015 - 8:42 PM
    I didn't have any bone taken from my hip, they actually took it from my rib which my surgeon says is less painful and it heals better than from the iliac crest. Good luck!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,857
    I had bone grafts taken from my hip.

The pain in my hip after surgery and after the initial surgical pain became more of a problem than my cervical area.
    That discomfort lasted many weeks past when my neck was doing ok.

Part of my problems was that during the grafting the second go around, there was a problem and I developed osteomyelitis.
    That required 6 weeks in home IV antibiotics 3 x day. But that was a result of a problem during the initial harvesting. This type of problem hardly occurs.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com