Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can scoliosis result from disc damage?

NeedConvincingNNeedConvincing Posts: 1
edited 05/22/2015 - 3:31 AM in Scoliosis
Hi All,
I have a question I'd really like some good advice on.

I'm 39 years old and in 2012, I had a slip and fall accident. Over many months I had tests and treatment that led me to have Xrays, CT's and an MRI. The end result was that my accident caused bulging to my discs (L3-L5). The MRI detected a perrineural cyst in my spine too.
I was recently examined as part of my compensation legal process, with the medical examiners suggesting that my condition had stabilized/settled, despite my telling the assessors that since the last tests in 2012, my condition has worsened, particularly of late.
About 2 months ago I suffered a bout of shingles and shortly after experienced severe left shoulder and neck pain, restricting almost every activity. My doctor sent me for an Xray which resulted in a finding of mild scoliosis in my spine just under my neck.

My 2 questions:
1. Is it possible that the scoliosis is the result of my disc damage? There is no family history of scoliosis and it was not present when tests were done in 2012.
2. If it is possible, would it be fair to say that the assessors may have been incorrect to determine that my injury has settled/stabilized?

Some informed advice would be really appreciated. Thanks.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Wow...shingles on top of your spinal issues!
    You must feel so drained!

Sorry I am unable to respond to your questions.....but wanted to say that this SH site has a wealth of information.

Using the......search....on this site right upper page.....and typing your concerns, it may lead you to older posts, articles and videos.
    It may be helpful to you and or lead you to more questions that help prepare you for next office visit.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Ive spent a lot of time on this.

I found a lot of info on children getting scoliosis from bad disc's, but there is very little info on adult scoliosis.

It comes down to the point that the scoliosis caused by a slipped disc is a secondary scoliosis, and if the underlying cause of the curvature is removed, the spine will go back to normal in most cases.

I hurt my L5/S1 disc when I was 20. 19 months later, I was clinically diagnosed with mild scoliosis. I spent 36 years thinking that all my back pain was scoliosis, and it was a condition that I was born with. That was wrong. The problem is, after 36 years, its too late to fix the underlying problem that caused it, so I am stuck with a bad apple back that was caused because they failed to properly diagnose my condition so long ago.

Turns out that around 80% of adults with scoliosis have it from adolescence, less than 20% get it as adults, like I did. There are numerous causes, but the ones that are low percentage in the population is not well documented. Most adult scoliosis happens due to DDD, degeneration of the disc's symmetric balance to allow a scoliotic curve, and occurs mostly in Sr. Citizens (beyond 55/65 years old). That gets lots of attention, because most of the patients seen for adult scoliosis are in that upper age group.

So if the occurrence of secondary scoliosis as an adult was caused by a herniated/slipped disc, in only 1/2 of 1% (.5) of the population, not much study will be done on that, as opposed to the 80% who carry scoliosis over from adolescent idiopathic scoliosis into adulthood. I went through several surgeons to find one that actually would address this issue with me, and that was a good day for me.

Don't get me wrong, I am no medical professional, so take my advice at your own peril, but when a disc is damaged, its pretty rare that it will go back to normal. Typically, the degeneration of discs is normal as we age, and with an injured disc, it advances faster than if it were not damaged to start with, so you get premature aging of the damaged disc as a consequence you live with, and it affects other discs as well. This is a lifelong impact that needs to be taken into consideration for future medical needs.