Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fentanyl patch

I recently began wearing a Fentanyl patch for chronic back pain. Is it OK to put a large waterproof bandaid over the Fentanyl patch to make sure that the patch stays dry and also stays in place? I already lost one patch after showering/dressing so I thought that maybe a large waterproof bandaid would help. Thanks...:-)

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    There is a special covering you can put over patch. Any other covering could interrupt the way the patch releases its medication. For ex....if too warm, too much med may be delivered into your body.

You can use...tegaderm ....to cover fentynal patches. Usually available in drug store.

I called the company who makes the patches to tell them about patches not adhering and they sent me box of the tegaderm covering for free.
    They also said when I ran out to let them know and they would send another box...at no cost to me.

If you read on the info that accompanies the med, you will also find instructions on how not to cover it.

Patches can be frustrating, but I had great results from patch. Took edge off pain in a consistent matter.
    Good luck!

I just saw response above me with same info....by a minute. :)........not my intention to be redundant :)
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• coverings you can use made by nexcare, tegaderm and op-site that are used in hospitals to cover iv sites. They can be purchased in most pharmacies or online auction sites.

• I had first asked the pharmacist, who said "Yeah I guess you can do that". (in a not-very-convincing tone of voice):(
    So I then phoned the doctor's office and asked the nurse, and she said "No, it's best not to cover the patch". And then finally I asked to speak to the doctor and so he says "You can probably do that". Probably???? Geez, not much help from that lot.:(
    Thanks again to both of you; I'll definitely try what you suggested. I actually lost another patch this morning :( have no idea where it went!!!
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 05/24/2015 - 4:41 PM
    Ugh! If you've got pets or little kids be really careful. I have a friend who nearly lost her dog that way...he got a patch from the trash!! It just cost us over $3,000 to have a tinsel Pom Pom removed from my cat...they will eat anything!! ;-)

I was on them years ago & got free Tagaderm too! Well worth a phone call. The famous auction site is a good place to get them cheap in bulk if you have to pay.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • A few times over the years that I have been dealing with chronic pain and always used the bioclusive coverings with no issues. I swam with them, showered with them , dealt with the heat of summer using them so the patch didn't fall off.
    Instead of using medical tape, the coverings keep the patch in place without a big obvious bunch of tape showing. In fact , I used to put the patch on the inside of my lower calf, covet it with tegaderm ,and go swimming and no one ever realized I had it on.

• Thanks so much for your replies to my question. It's great to have found a support group of people who understand!! :-)
    I don't have any pets here :( and my two sons are both married with children. My four grandkids range in age from 23 to 10 and I also have twin great-grandsons who will be two years old next month. :-) The patch is covered by my shirt/blouse so they don't see it. BTW, my older son is 42 and I tell him it can't possibly be true because I'm only 38!! LOL :-) (I wish!!!) LOL
    I'm growing old :( but not ready to grow up yet! ;)
  • You sound a bit like me....on my last birthday, I was 29 for the 22nd year in a row....lol
    Happy Memorial day

• I've heard the quote which says "Growing old is mandatory :( --- growing up is optional.". :)
    works for me!! ;)
  • too Maureen.....along with celebrating my yearly anniversary of being 29 , I am going to adopt that saying as my new quote...

• I actually have that quote in a framed photo on the wall. ;)
  • One of the nurses got those Tegaderm patches for me and the patch seems to be working well. :). I've had it on for two days and so far no problems; will change it tomorrow night. Take care y'all. ;)
  • I use Nexcare waterproof bandaids works good for me, last week I was out of these and could see the patch coming off around the edges, no wonder the pain was seeping back in.

I don't like the J&J brand of waterproof bandaids, they seem tacky (not to easy to place on or they fold)