Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF 4-LEVEL C3-C7 ON Tuesday, May 26th

Hello all. I'm going in for my surgery on Tuesday, and I can't wait to get this over and done with. I hope I will finally be able to get full use of my arms, hands, and fingers back again. My poor wife has been getting me dressed every morning for the last couple of months, so I look forward to doing that by myself. :) This is my first time for neck surgery, but I have had lumbar surgery before. I have read so many success stories on this forum, that I'm hoping I will be having a success story to write too. Of course I'm a little excited, nervous, and anxious to get this over and done with, so I can start the healing process.

I'm not as young now as I was when I had my lumbar surgery, (L5-S1) and I know it's going to take longer to heal, but I'm up for the challenge. I was 34 years old when I had my lower back surgery, and I'm 58 now. I had to retire in 2005 because of my lower back problems, so I don't have to rush back to work or anything. I never in a million years thought I would have problems with my cervical spine, but I do. Only a couple more days before it will be all done and I can go back to being somewhat normal. Thanks for reading and if you have any questions or comments, please do post them. Thanks.

• Well, I had my 5 level fusion and I'm getting better every day. I've been home for a week and life is good. I went through hell for the first couple days, but they finally got my pain under control. Now if I can just get this hard collar off for a few hours a day, I will be much happier. I see my surgeon on Monday, right after I have x-rays so my fingers are crossed. I don't think I could ever go through another surgery like this. I had lower back surgery 25 years that was a piece of cake compared to this. Never again, I hope.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,447
    edited 06/06/2015 - 7:30 AM
    So good to hear you are feeling better and love to hear, " life is good"!

Best of luck in your continued recovery!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• OI8T12OOI8T12 Posts: 44
    edited 08/15/2015 - 5:57 AM
    Hi, I'm almost 12 weeks post op, and I 'm doing excellent. No more pain in my arms, neck, hands, and fingers. I have full use of all my limbs again. It wasn't easy, but I do believe this surgery was (is) a total success. I went through hell for the first couple of weeks, but I slowly continued to get better every day. For a man of my age (58) and the awful symptoms that I had before surgery, this is a miracle to me. I had to wear a hard collar for 6 weeks and that was terrible, but I made it. For any of you out there that thinking about this type surgery, it's a big decision to make , just make sure you do all your homework about the type of surgery you are thinking about having. I had a 5 level surgery with 6 rods, 10 screws, a bone taken from my pelvis, and a titanium cage used to stabilize my neck. I won't be playing football anymore, but I don't think I should be playing at my age anyway. ;)

Thank you for reading and if you have any questions about my surgery, please, don't hesitate to ask anything at all.