Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

so frustrated

I am in yr 4 of chronic pain. I have my good days and my bad days. I have lost the fIrst full time job i had, in my field. I can only work part time and even that is very hard. On days that I work, that is all I can do without increased pain while I am at work. If I do much of anything on my days off I hurt all of the next day while I am @ wk of I can even get into work. I have already filed for ssdi and am currently awaiting an alj hearing date. Now to add insult to injury, because I cant get a job with health ins and I make too much $ for medicaid in my state (only because I push myself to work to pay bills), I have an EPO plan thru the marketplace. Only my PM and my PCP are In network. My PCP wont handle anything stronger than Tramadol and my PM is only interventional. My psychiatrist wants to start me on Suboxone but she is out of network and subsequently not covered under my health plan, so I cannot afford to start this new med. My PM wants to do certain procedures and my ins doesnt cover them, he precerts others and they still arent covered. The icing on the cake is that I could not have to work as hard if I could get my disability approved which could mean less pain, but that doesnt seem to be happening. I am sorry for the rant but it feels good to vent.
Erin Roche
L5/S1 Hemilaminectomy
SCS implant in 2012
plus much much more...

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    ..catch 22....you need disability to take care of your body and yet push yourself to work ...which may interfere with getting disability because you show that you can work.....
    You are not alone in your frustration!......good luck with your hearing.

For me, the time came when I knew could no longer push myself, no longer work.
    I quit on a Tuesday and had appointment with Disability attorney on Thursday. I won my case within 6 months.

You say your PM doc is ...only interventional.
    I don't understand that.

My most consistent relationship is with my PM doc and has been since day one.
    I see him monthly....presently for monitoring my symptoms and pain control.
    Initially with immediate treatment towards pain control....and testings.....treatments.....and initially was about six years ago.
    I had been suffering with incredible pain 2 years prior before PCP sent me to PM.

PM was my lifesaver.
    Also with my PM I have agreed to allow only him to prescribe my pain meds. Since working with PM I have not seen ER for spine issues. But if I found myself with spine issues and he not available....or any of my other conditions, .....my PM doc told me to go to ER when necessary...just be sure they know all meds I am on and then let them treat me...but when stable, to notify PM of what transpired.

Maybe you could meet with your PM re more consistent care as you indicate your pain not stable.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hi Savage! It is definitely a catch 22 with Social Security. I am currently looking for an attorney that I trust in my area, so that I have one before my ALJ hearing. My PM does not prescribe any medications, he just does injections and other types of interventional pm treatments. He was able to get a new back brace approved for me, so if I can find $479.00(the remaining part of my deductible and my coinsurance) I can go pick that up. Might have to hit up some family members for a loan. Also, found ab in network MD who writes Suboxone for addiction and PM. I just started on a low dose yday and it seems to be helping with pain a bit better than my prior opiate. The only sucky part is the WD's I am experiencing today, part of the reason I am still wide awake @ 120 am. I will get thru this tho' I know I can☺
    Erin Roche
    L5/S1 Hemilaminectomy
    SCS implant in 2012
    plus much much more...