Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Op Pain- New MRI findings

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this forum but not new the ACDF, as a matter of fact I am now recovering from my second surgery. In 2009 I had ACDF of the C5-C6 w/o hardware and fast forward to 3/5/15 another ACFD to the C6-C7 with hardware. My recovery seems to be slow and I am still in pain. I am in physical therapy twice a week and still am having pain on my right side, as well as not sleeping.
I went for a post op MRI and was wondering if any one can help me understand some of the findings. I know this is not medical advise but I was hoping others can relate to my issues.

PT: ACDF C5-C6-C7 Post op findings:

Reversal of cervical curvature. Antherolisthesis of C4 to C5 by 2mm-3mm. No compression fracture noted.

At C4 C5 posterior vertebral body spurring noted. Minimal bulging of the intervertebral disc is seen.

At C5 C6 post surgical changes are noted. Minimal narrowing of the neural foreman seen bilaterally. there is a relative paucity surrounding the cord centrally at the level C5- C6.

At C6-C7 minimal central disc protrusion is noted. Narrowing of the left neural foramen seen.

Cervical spondylosis noted above stable when compared to pt prior.
Ferromagnetic artifact extends approx 11.5 mm anterior to C6-C7 vertebral bodies-recommendation for further evaluation of findings.

The C2 C3 had no disc herinated C3-C4 minimal bulging noted.

Just looking to bounce some conversation around to gain perspective !

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Is not sleeping new symptom to you?
    Please tell doctor everything you going through.

Best of luck in your recovery!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• It sounds like your neck has improved.
    Be patient.
    Pain comes with the surgery, IMHO.

I couldn't sleep after my surgery, either.
    I didn't want the opiods to relieve my pain. They were too addicting.
    I decided to opt for a tricyclic antidepressant with pain relieving properties.

It works, but made me gain about 15 pounds. It also relieved my depression.
    I am on Nortiptyline 25 mg, once a day at about 9:00 PM.
    It is generic, so it's very cheap. A months supply costs me about $4.00 or $5.00 at Walmart with my insurance.
  • Thanks ...for your posted. s!eepimg has been a problem all along . !
    My surgeon feels I should further along then I am at this point, this would be great if in fact I was, but I'm not. Hopefully I will find relief soon !

As your surgeon continues to monitor your progress, don't be too hard on yourself. I know it easier said than done, but really no other choice, right?

Not related to surgery, but from the onset accompanying my chronic pain, I was going nights and nights with out sleep.
    This went on for at least months. I don't remember exactly.

My pain management doctor prescribed meds, but nothing effective for me. The sleeplessness..or sleep deprivation...was causing me to be easily irritable, angry..I was wide eyed..or wild eyed. I wanted to slap people and pull out my hair.

Doc then did sleep study on me. It indicated some sort..limb movement problem. I never felt anything.
    He then medicated me and immediate help. To present, I will still have one night, maybe two nights a week that I do not sleep..but drastic improvement.

I would think you need to include your sleeplessness when talking to doctor about your symptoms. Not everyone needs a sleep study to have prescribed med to be effective. And not everyone needs to have meds to help them sleep as long term treatment. But can be beneficial when body going through a transition.

I can't help but think getting proper sleep would help your body to be able to focus on the rest and healing for your spine.

I hope you soon find relief with your pain and with your sleep
    Hang in there!

Spine-Health Moderator

• Thanks Savage for the info and support ! I think my sleep deprivation is def hindering my spine recovery. I had a troublesome few days with a lot of pain, but last night, I used heat, massage, and ointment, and no cervical soft collar to sleep. To my surprise, I woke up feeling most like myself, for the first time in over a year. I had PT and we did a pretty good session and now some Advil to try and help with the moderate pain. Today was a good day !
    It is always good to share in a good day!
    Spine-Health Moderator