Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What to expect 3 months out

I am a C2 and C4 fusion along with a C3 corpectomy (the removal of the vertebrae because of spinal cord compression). So I have two screws and a plastic cage in my neck. I don't see a lot of C1, C2, C3, or even C4 fusions on here but please try and help me out. I have a lifting restriction still and am banished to this collar until the 3 month mark.. July 27 I'm supposed to get on a plane to go on a missions trip to Uganda Africa.. That will be like 3 and a half months post op.. We haven't had any X-rays done by my neurologist so we don't know what it looks like yet. I wouldn't have to do the hard labor in Uganda.. But thoughts about travel and all that please!!!!

• One thing I can think of is your neck muscle is going to be pretty weak if you wear a collar for 3 months. I worn my hard collar for 6 weeks and my neck muscle is weak, I will definitely wear / bring a soft collar with you to travel.

Talk to your doctor about medication you might need during your stay in Africa. not sure how much walking / hiking you will be doing outdoor.

• I am sorry, but I would not go.
    The plane trip is a long one, and I would not be sure of the medical care one would get in Africa if there was a medical problem.
    Three months is just too early, IMHO.
    Can you delay the trip for a couple of months?
  • I recently traveled to Korea but it was at my 5 month mark. Of my C1-C3 fusion.The soft collar definitely helped me especially with turbulence. Make sure to bring copies of your X-rays for TSA because they were a pain to deal with. Also make sure to have a note if you are going to be taking any meds. I was taking lyrica at the time and although my pain doc said it is fine to take it in Korea having the note helped relieve any stress I had especially being in another country
  • There's no delaying the trip. It's been planned for quite awhile now. I just need to make the call to go or not. My neurologist said its not recommended but I told him I'd be doing physical labor which I found out I don't have to. So that might change his opinion. But my main concern is the 16 hour straight flight to Dubai. And then the 5 hour flight into Africa. And the roads in Africa are so bumpy. And there's like no rules on the road.. Lol.
  • Yeah so definitely talk to your neurologist and ask for a soft collar that you can wear while on the plane and when in a car. I you have any anxiety with it then possibly ask for an antianxiety med. also come up with a safety plan for if your pain becomes too much to tolerate then you can know what to do or where to go.