Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not able to lay on stomach for medial branch block/no solution in sight

zealzzeal Posts: 1
edited 05/28/2015 - 2:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone- I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if anyone has any ideas/solutions.

My doctor & most doctors (from what I can tell) require patients to lie prone (on their stomach) for the duration of a cervical medial branch block procedure. I was not physically able to do this, so my doctor does not feel it is safe to do this procedure. He gave me no alternatives and no plan for future treatment options. He will continue to treat with low-dose pain medication, but I would like a more realistic and permanent solution.

I found it impossible to lay on my stomach, even with a pillow under my abdomen. Anyone who has enough pain to warrant this procedure is going to have trouble maintaining this position. How is a person like me supposed to "plank" for 10 minutes while a doc sticks needles in my neck? :/ Super frustrated.

All doctors in this area require the patient to lie prone. This procedure was meant as a test to see if I was a candidate for radio-frequency nerve ablation. Without this test, it seems I am out of options.

I'm in a lot of pain and have used up all my vacation and sick days from work due to pain from my discs and severe arthritis (I am not even 40 years old).

Let me know if you have heard of this happening, or if you have any solutions. Thank you!

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    edited 05/29/2015 - 8:21 AM
    It may benefit you if you were to go to the.......new member.....forum.

There you will see information to help you get the most from this SH site. There is wealth of information here.

Also, there is .....search....on this site, upper right on page.
    Type in any of your concerns....and you may be led to past posts, articles, videos that may benefit you.
    It is in every person language so info is easily understood.

You said you were unable to tolerate testing with doctor...and he left you with no other options.
    I would talk with doctor re not being able to do test, and what other treatments might be available......and telling doctor again about your symptoms.

Hang in there!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History