Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 weeks Post micro discectomy l4/5, concerned.

georgehodgettsggeorgehodgetts Posts: 2
edited 05/28/2015 - 2:28 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hello Everybody.
I am 21 year old man, who used to be in great physical health and fitness. i've been suffering with sciatic pain down my right side all the way through the foot for over 12 months. finally after endless MRI scans, and referals i have recently had the micro discectomy at l4/5 to relieve the herniated disc. it has been so debilitating and depressing to haver to suffer with such awful pain for the last 12 months of my life especially being as active i used to be. anyway im now 2 weeks post op and was looking for some recovery adivec from anybody who may have been in a simlar postion to myself. immediately after surgery i felt relief from the sciatic pain, although the pain from surgery was very painful for the first few days i was happy with the imidiate results. im now at week two and starting to get worried. the pain in my leg has come back slightly not as extreme as before but still painful. whats worrying me is not the severity of the pain but the type of pain im in. i thought i would be suffering maybe with the occasional twinge or stabbing pain perhapos from the nerve recovering from the compression. but my leg almost feels like the nerve is still being compressed as i cant straighten my leg without the nerve feeling like its being pulled from both ends, almost like an extremely tight hamstring injury . can anybody advice on what there symptoms were like at week 2 post op. thanks in advanced for any help.

• I am just 1 week post-op from the same surgery, but it is my understanding that it could take months for your nerves to recover, especially since you were in pain for such a long time. My surgeon said it could take 6 months for my foot pain to go away, and I was o of really suffering from this for a few weeks.
    L4/5/S1 scar tissue removal surgery, plus unexpected L4/5 microdiscectomy #2 October 2015
    L4/5 microdiscectomy May 2015
    2-level ADR C4-6 (Mobi-C) February 2015
  • Hi George,

I had my L5/S1 discectomy 12 days ago and immediately after surgery, I still had pain down my left side, primarily in the left foot, but the hamstring as well, especially stretching the leg out. It's been an up and down recovery, some days better than others. Unfortunately the good days I tend to overdo it and end up 2 steps back.

How active have you been? Are you having more relief now? How was you post-op appointment? The swelling from the surgery can definitely cause the sciatic pain to come back. And even once it goes down, nerve damage can take a while to repair - it's different for all of us. I was prescribed an anti inflammatory which took about a week to show progress. Also, ice seems to help a lot.

Back surgery is a long recovery. Take it easy, don't over do it, and hang in there. I googled and googled, worried and worried, but finally, slowly, I'm getting better.

Better got worse the next day and now have bad burning sensation in the foot. Doctor prescribed neurontin, hoping it helps...