Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Persistent pain after L1 compression and T12 facet joint fracture

I'm new here on the forum.
At the beginning of September last year, I fell off a ladder backwards. I was initially treated by an orthopedist via the ER. He diagnosed me with a L1 compression fracture. Stayed in hospital for a week. The fracture took a long time to heal, I wore a backbrace for a total of 19 weeks. He forgot the physiotherapy, which I reminded him of. Started that 5 months later, 30 sessions. When the ortho told me several times that he didn't believe I was still in so much pain, I decided to cancell my appointments and see a neurosurgeon at another hospital. The ortho did 2 CT scans, an MRI and 2 x-rays.

What I feel: pain near the spine, numb feeling right from the spine and below belly button, downward pain 'on' hips (both sides, front and back, iliac area), weak feeling back of legs, can't sit for a long time, static positions really hurt (like pc work, writing), laying in bed hurts, buttocks turn ice cold and numb when sitting, can't lay on my back on a hard surface like on the floor. When I push myself, I'm out for several days.

What the neurosurgeon discovered (through a bonescan and MRI): compression fracture caused much more volume loss than thought, 2 pieces broken off of the left facet joint of T12 (pieces never reattached), disk between T12 and L1 is badly degenerated, still serious hyperactivity (inflammation) of T12, L1 and the sacral vertebrae (probably caused by the fall). Pressure on the dural sac, but not on the spinal cord.

I can't have a corticosteroid treatment because of another pathology, but the doctor said I could try a facet denervation. It's planned for June 5th (test), and for June 8th (final).
I'm kind of scared because of what I read and hear...
Could this procedure take away that horrible downward painful pressure in the iliac area? Can that come from the broken facet joint (T12)?
I read that so many of these procedures do not have a good result...
One person says it hurts during the procedure (someone I know), the doctor says it doesn't...

I feel rather uncertain about the procedure, but then I want that constant pain to be gone...

Thank you for any imput!