Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbosacral corset brace and summer - Ladies fashion help needed

Tomorrow I go for all of my pre-op appointments (PCP, cardiologist, obtain DME - corset brace, etc...). I have read some posts about the corset brace and wearing a tight fitting ribbed tank t-shirt or cotton cami under the corset. It has been unseasonably hot here in Maryland this Spring and I don't see it letting up. My surgery is scheduled for June 16th. What I would like to know form those ladies who have had to wear a corset is what can I wear? I want to be comfortable during my recovery as well as not have the brace "exposed" as much as possible. Once I return to work (office job) I can not wear shorts but thought about purchasing a couple of cotton summer dresses to wear. Any advice would be appreciated.
Baltimore, MD
L4/L5 and L5/S1 microlaminotomy and discectomy
Scheduled for 6/16/15

• I found I had to wear it on the outside of my clothes. When I tried to wear a top over it I looked about 20 pounds heavier. I also wore a lot of black so it would blend in. Try to stay inside with the air conditioner blasting....it will make you hot. Good luck.
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil
  • Hi

I'm in a TLSO until July. I find that a cotton Cami ( have basic colors) works best for me and I wear different colored, button up blouses in a larger size. I button only a few buttons . The Cami / tank absorbs sweat, and the blouses add a touch of class. In the house I strip down to Cami and brace, but in public throw on the loose blouse over. I accessorize with chunky jewelery and most people don't even realize I had surgery! Trying to keep myself up, and not look too frumpy. It does make me feel better! Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and recovery!
  • currently wearing mine. I went to H&M go some camis that actually go little longer then normal one they have them online as well...for now Ive been wearing the cami then the brace then the shirt.. returning to work how soon? I am wearing my brace 6-8 weeks and not talk of work even before that. What type of surgery are you having I had a PLIF on l4- l5 and I to had an office job but sitting is a big no no according to my dr...walking is about it... anyway if you can wear dresses, I would do like a cami then the brace and then the maxi...maybe a light sweater since you'll be in air conditioned building?? I'm 3 weeks post op and I'm not a good patient with a high tolerance level meaning I dont like to sit down I'm to much of an on the go kind of person...but theres things they don't tell you about this surgery that you find out later...
    also if you can ge way with linen pants at work victorias secret has a bunch of kinds h & M and kohls and all these long light sweaters to wear over unfortunately its all about layering for a while
    for casual american eagle had regular tanks then cotton henley type tanks i bought to kind of mask the corset. Keep me posted good luck...
    This can't be happening
  • I did purchase several cotton camis to go under the brace. I bought some stretch waist shorts to go over the brace and a couple of larger t-shirts (solid colors) to go over. As for work, I bought 2 maxi dresses and a stretchy maxi skirt. I think I'm set! Thanks for all of the great ideas.

I did have surgery on June 26th. When they went in they found they needed to do an laminectomy instead of laminotomy and the doctor said the disk was "ripe" so he did have to take part of it. My problem area is L4-S1.

Have a great day!
    Baltimore, MD
    L4/L5 and L5/S1 microlaminotomy and discectomy
    Scheduled for 6/16/15
  • 7 months post fusion and I have it down to a uniform. Pants or skirt and a black or dark knit or cotton t-shirt on top then the brace on top of that then a light long scarf that puts it all together and flats. I'm in Las Vegas and it's 110 this week. We're business casual, so that works for me. I have a closet full of clothes and shoes I can't wear now. The brace helps when I sit at a computer all day.