Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ALIF tomorrow morning calm my nerves please

Hey guys I am having an ALIF tomorrow morning. I also have two synovial cysts that he might try to go after depending on what he has to do to get to them he may not. I am so nervous I can't even begin to explain. My stomach is really upset, but then again it my just be the magnesium citrate I just drank. Doctor said I should be out of the hospital the next day, but the hospital staff is saying 2-5 days so
Will see I guess. Can anyone help calm my nerves a little bit please. I think I am more worried about waking up and immediately being in intense pain. Please help calm my nerves it would be much appreciated.

• Hi Dallasfan! I totally understand the nerves. For my cervical surgery, everyone in the pre-op area was concerned with how high my heart rate was. I was crying and shaking and terrified. And on top of that, I was embarrassed that I was so scared. :( I'm not sure how your surgeon will do things, but I was told that I would be pumped full of pain meds when I woke up from surgery, and that really calmed my nerves. You will meet with a lot of people before your surgery tomorrow morning. You should have the opportunity to ask them exactly what to expect when you wake up, maybe that will help?

I was feeling pretty good when I woke up from both my cervical and lumbar surgeries. Both times I woke up slowly and a nurse was right there with me. The only thing that was bothering me was my throat from the surgery and breathing tube, and the nurse gave me a steady flow of ice chips, which helped a lot.

Both times, I was smiling when I was rolled into my room. I had a morphine pump that I could activate every 10 minutes, then I got oral pain medication a few hours later.

After my first surgery, I got really sick and was throwing up because of the anesthesia (I know this because they changed the dose/type and it did not happen the next time). It was a surprise because I had gone through 2 unrelated surgeries in the past and didn't have any problems. I'm not sure if you've had surgery before, but I told the anesthesiologist about this before my lumbar surgery and they gave me anti-nausea patch which worked perfectly. Just something to consider if you are concerned about this.

Both of my surgeries were done out of a private survival center and not a big hospital, and I'm sure everyone's experience is different depending on a lot of things. But I wanted to share my experience because I had been terrified about what it would be like to wake up after surgery, and waking up from surgery ended up being the best part of my day. :)
    L4/5/S1 scar tissue removal surgery, plus unexpected L4/5 microdiscectomy #2 October 2015
    L4/5 microdiscectomy May 2015
    2-level ADR C4-6 (Mobi-C) February 2015
  • I haven't had the same procedure but can reassure you that the hospital staff did all they could to make sure my pain was managed.

It was normal to be nervous but try to remember you have a surgeon that performs this procedure regularly and the hospital staff are there to help you so do not be afraid to ask for help with anything

I only have praise for the staff on both my operations :-)

Music from my ipod helped me 'remove' myself and relax if that helps
    Will be thinking of you tomorrow
    Please post again when you can as the support on here is brilliant and really helps during recovery
    L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015

• Hey Dallasfan,

I too understand your anxiety and nerves. I will be having surgery next week. Praying for peace and comfort for you.

• Hey everyone just wanted to say thank you for your kind words. I've had back surgery before. However, it was just a lamenectomy/discectomy. The one I'm having tomorrow is a lot more intense. I wasn't in to much pain after my first one so will see how this one goes. I haven't decided if I'm going to take something to knock me out tonight or not. I know I have to wash myself with this special kind of sponges they gave me tonight and tomorrow morning. Thanks again guys. I will post on here when I am coherent enough after my surgery.
  • Not being a bit nervous and scared would be far more concerning.
    When you wake up in PACU, you will have nurses right there to let you know you are okay and to give you additional pain meds if necessary. They will bring in your family member to see you once you are settled and a bit alert.
    Things will be okay, just talk to the anesthesiologist if you are feeling highly nervous, they can give you something to settle your nerves .

• Hope I'm not too late to wish you well! I had that same surgery 2-1/2 years ago. It was trying but you get through it. The dr.s know what they are doing and the nurses are usually even more so!

Let us know how you do!
  • I am sending up warm wishes and prayers for you!

. I know exactly how you feel, my surgery is tomorrow morning.
    I have had lumbar fusion previously and am told this one should be a little easier. I am having a 3 level ACDF with Corpectomy.

I hope all goes well for you today and you are on the mend soon!
  • dalllasfan402ddalllasfan402 Posts: 16
    edited 06/02/2015 - 7:25 AM
    Hey guys I'm here to give you an update. The surgery went well. He also took a cyst out and cleaned up some scar tissue from my previous surgery. My worst fear did happen though. When I woke up I was in the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. Luckily, they got it down to a high manageable level pretty quick. I'll keep you all informed. If all goes well I
    Should be out tomorrow.
  • So glad they helped you with pain. Mine was incredible too at first but my lovely nurse corinne was very very attentive and did her best not to let me suffer.

Good luck on your recovery journey and keep us posted :-)
    L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015

• sending prayers your way stay strong stay positive My surgery on my neck is in 2 weeks nervous but its in God hands!

God Bless hope all goes well for you
  • I am glad it went well. I am surprised they would let you out so soon. Typical is 3 days. But whatever, hope recovery goes well!
  • Woke up at 4 this morning with really bad muscle spasms. The nurse took care of that quickly. The incision on my stomach is really sore. My back pain is a different kind of pain it just feels like my bones are grinding together on my spine. I've walked four times already (once yesterday, and 3 times today). They took the catheter out this morning and I went pee right after words on my own. I will be taking a shower today as well. They will be taking me off the pain pump this afternoon and putting me on oral meds. If all goes well should be out tomorrow.
  • Ok everyone today has been the hardest day. I was doing good up until noon, and then after that all hell broke lose. I walked 7 times today, but the pain is through the roof. I don't know how people get through this. I hate relying on other people and I feel like such a weenie for a guy. Us guys are supposed to protect our women. I am naturally a tough strong guy but today I feel so weak both physically and mentally. The pain has tore me a knew one today. I made the mistake of getting up by myself to go to the bathroom by myself without my brace and I got stuck. They all got mad at me. I hope tomorrow gets better please tell me it does.
  • ivymiivym Posts: 278
    edited 06/03/2015 - 12:57 PM
    You ARE strong! And brave. Look what you have just been through. Please be gentle with yourself. You have barely had your surgery- it's day 2. From what I understand (others feel free to chime in here) it is not a steady road up to recovery. It is a roller coaster ride. Tomorrow will be better. Stay strong like you have been.

• I'm just sort of catching back up on things. Glad to hear that you are recovering now and that the surgery went well.

I think a lot of your discomfort is from gas. Not to be funny but I started to get more relief after I started passing gas. Have you been able to eat and have a bowel movement at least? That seemed to have been a huge help to me. They should be giving you stool softeners to help. If you don't have any at home, make sure you pick some up while someone has your script(s) filled and make sure you take them religiously when you get home. You're going to just have to trust me on that part.

It does get better. Hang in there!
    Sept 11, 2009 L4/L5 Microdiscectomy
    April 12, 2013 C6/C7 ACDF
    May 27, 2015 L4/L5 ALIF with PLIF
    Too many cervical and lumbar injections to list, including RF Ablation C3-C6 on the right and left.
  • Hope you feel better soon will be praying for you glad you made it through your surgery I guess now the recovery starts wishing you the best..
  • Today is a little bit better. I got up a few times and was able to walk a little faster and pick my feet up instead of dragging them. I was able to get in and out of the hospitals make shift car. I am also on oral meds (which seems to help better then the morphine). My mom is on her way to pick me up now so I will be going home today. I am a little worried since the hospital hasn't been feeding me any laxatives, or stool softners. They told me to pick up some milk of magnesia and miralax to start right when I get home. I have about a 30 minute ride back to my house, but I have to stop by the pharmacy to pick up my meds and I want some different snacks. Hopefully this last part will go well.
  • I noticed that too right away about the oral meds working better than the morphine. I was miserable the entire time I was on the morphine. I think it was rather useless.

How did the ride home go? Hope things are going better for you now that you are home and settled in.
    Sept 11, 2009 L4/L5 Microdiscectomy
    April 12, 2013 C6/C7 ACDF
    May 27, 2015 L4/L5 ALIF with PLIF
    Too many cervical and lumbar injections to list, including RF Ablation C3-C6 on the right and left.