Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

*Newbie* Hi, I'm Joey

Joey56JJoey56 Posts: 9
edited 06/02/2015 - 3:29 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi Everyone. I've been looking for a place where there are people like me...."In Chronic Pain"!

I'm 59 years old and I've been living with this horrible pain ever since a drunk driver hit my car back on 1/25/00. I was lucky to have survived the accident. I tore ligaments in my right ankle, rt. knee, and rt. shoulder. My rt. pelvic bone was cracked, rt. bicep muscle torn and I herniated/ruptured most of my c-spine. I now suffer with seizure disorder from hitting my head they told me, (it's under control though). I did have my seat belt on. I still can't believe all this happened to me....everything happened so quickly.
I'm not here looking for sympathy. I'm just looking for a place that I can talk with people that know what it's like. I look healthy, so most people I know think I'm BS'ing. I had my shoulder operated on...with no relief. I also get Synvisc injections twice a year in my rt. knee, and multiple injections in my rt. shoulder. After about 10 years, the pain just became overwhelming....that's when I started seeing a pain management doctor. He's awesome! He did bring my pain level down from a blasting 10, to a 2. But there are a lot of days my pain level is higher, (depending on the weather).
I was a tractor trailer driver since 1974. I had to retire after this accident about 13 years ago. I hate not working....but driving is all I know. I'm on Oxycodone, so the D.O.T. won't let me drive anymore. I'd never pass a drug test! I do walk about 4 to 5 miles every other day in the forests near my home. My doctor told me walking helps. If I try and sit home, I hurt even more. It's kinda weird....it hurts to walk, and it hurts to sit or lay down. The whole thing is just a mess! I wouldn't wish what I'm going through on my worst enemy!

Well, that's my story. I hope to meet some people that know what I'm talking about. People who don't live in pain have no idea what it's like!

"Nobody Should Have To Suffer"

• Fellow chronic pain sufferer here. Thanks for sharing your story. I'm getting a referral very soon to see a Pain Management doctor, myself. Up until this point, I've been relying "almost" exclusively on my GP to prescribe/manage my meds. I say "almost" because I'd been taking some of my wife's Percocets for breakthrough pain. At my last appointment, my GP asked what meds I was taking, and I mentioned the Percocet (forgetting that drug sharing is a big deal). He asked where I got them, and for a moment I was dumbfounded. He can't prescribe anything more potent than Ultram. Anyway, I fessed up. I didn't get a talking to, but it likely factored into his decision to send me to Pain Management. I'm not sure what to expect, but I'm hoping better pain relief is in my future.

It's heartening to hear that you walk quite a bit. I bet the scenery helps to improve your mood. Sometimes, staring at four walls can be depressing, and soaking in a little outdoors sun seems to help the nerve pain.
  • Forget about your GP giving you REAL pain meds and the injections you need. I've been seeing my pain management doctor for a while now. He's a good man. I'm drug tested, my pills are counted, and he checks my body language. He knows from my MRI's and never failing a test, that I'm not looking to get high. That's what the GP doctor worries about I guess. I'm 59...I'm not into getting high! All I want is some quality of life. I wish my pain level was zero...but after it being at an 8 - 10 for so many years, a level 2 is a blessing.

And yes, I love walking in the forests rather than the streets. The atmosphere of pine trees, streams and boulders make the pain a bit easier to forget. It hurts, but I do it anyway. A 4 to 5 mile walk through the forest can take up half my day. So I don't get too bored also. Believe me, I rather be driving my rig....but I'll take what was given to me.

Best of luck with your pain BMan. Just do what the pain managment doctor says, and you should feel better.
    "Nobody Should Have To Suffer"