Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help with diet for bone grafts to take well?

I had c3 thru c7 discs removed and replaced with cadaver bone grafts and plated May 4th. I'm 46 a active person and can't wait to get back to some kind of normal. I'm curious as to diet and things I should eat or do to help the grafts take. Also how long before I may be out of my collar?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    (Soft or Hard), that decision is up to your doctor.

I really cant speak about the diet to help with the graft.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I've heard increasing your protein intake helps with the fusion process. And like all surgery recoveries, high nutrient food help with over all healing.
    Whole fruits and veggies. Minimally processed food, etc... But many people have told me high protein for aiding in fusion.

Hope this helps.
  • Hard collar and was curious how long other had to wear theirs. I eat alot of protein so that's good to here. Fruits and fresh veggies love them also taking a good vitamin. ..
  • I only had a single level ACDF done and wasnt put in a collar. My surgeoen tends to be against them for single level surgeries.
    I know on average if you're put into a hard collar its for six weeks but every doctor has their own routine.
  • I was told to increase my protein intake like crazy. It is supposed to help with fusion and help with energy levels. If your protein is low your body will start to take it from your muscles which makes you tired. I am have a 2 level on June 17th and will be in a hard collar for 6 weeks.

Best of Luck with healing that is a big surgery.

• My directions were very specific about increasing my protein. I can't remember specifically, but it was --- grams per your body weight. I just remember it was a lot! I bought some of the GNC Whey Protein because there is no way I could consume that much protein.
    Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF) Surgery (Open) L2/L3 (23Mar15)
  • I also added calcium with vitamin D.
    Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF) Surgery (Open) L2/L3 (23Mar15)