Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C4 to c7 ACDF with Fusion surgery

Just waiting for the Doctor to call to give me my surgery date should be within 2 weeks There going to use interbody spacers and a plating system. I have server degeneration and server multiple -level foraminal,stenosis with collapsed disc spaces. I really don't understand a lot of this so if anyone is dealing with this or has had this surgery and tell me more about it this I would really appreciate it. I'm very sacred I have watched youtube videos looked up things on the Internet maybe that's not a good thing to do. I will be in the hospital for 2 day's and bed rest for 2 weeks and recovery time 3 months maybe shorter time if I heal quickly I just want to get back to work I've been dealing with this seance December and for almost 2 years but the pain got worse in December . Been out of work seance march. Do you got to wear a neck brace? How does eating affect you, can you get around? What was your out come after your surgery? Anything will help me at this point with what ever feed back I can get I want off pain pills sick of them.. Thank you for letting me get this off my mind thankful for this community

• does anyone know how long its takes for your insurance company to approve this type of surgery? I have heard sometimes they won't approve it but I have done everything I was supposed to do , Doctor said it should take about two weeks to get things set up etc.... I'm just getting worried and a little stress about things right now. The longer I wait the longer I'm out of work I'm collecting short term right now but fixing to go in to long term disability Its bad enough being in pain and it doesn't help when you got to worry about everything else, at least I got some money coming but loosing a lot of money being out of work cause I work off of commission and my bills are pilling up! getting very depressed over all of this sometimes I feel like I would be better off dead then going through this mess, But I know some people are way off worse then I am so I try to stay positive but at this point its not working very well..
  • My insurance approved mine in ... an hour, but mine was done on an urgent basis, and I have excellent insurance (thank goodness).
    If you browse around here, you'll see there's a huge variation in how everything is done. I wore a hard collar 24/7 for 2 weeks (except for showers), and then he started weaning me off of it except for riding in a car (it was winter and icy here...), and I was out of it by 6 weeks.
    In my opinion, the surgery wasn't that painful, but I'm learning I have a high tolerance to pain. I've read a lot of people not having a lot of improvement with pain issues, but I think the successful ones aren't on here much.
    "How does eating affect you". Did you mean the swallowing thing? I'm 6 months out, and still occasionally get things 'stuck'. Honestly, it doesn't bother me and is a minor thing to me.
    I haven't recovered that great, but I think I'm an odd bird on the internet with some other complicating factors.
    Good luck!!

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• after going through all this pain séance Dec I'm finally getting some help one step closer to getting back to work in September
    from what I understand cause I'm not a Doctor he will performing spine prosth bone marrow aspiration and addl neck spine fusion. My insurance approved the surgery thank God I'm praying this will help and I can go back to living a normal life and work another 15 years with no pain, I'm sure there will still be some pain but any relief is better then how I feel now. I am scared but I will not worry about till the surgery trying not to stress out anymore been doing that for 6 months and it don't help
  • Hi there! So sorry to hear about your spine issues. I can totally relate. I was informed that I seriously needed to consider having my C4 through C7 fused with a Corpectomy of C5. The doctor submitted his findings to blue cross blue shield on Monday morning, by Monday afternoon I received a call back from surgeon's scheduler. I had been approved immediately.
    Mine was not an urgent surgery but was in surgery less than a week later and am recovering nicely.

I thought this was going to be a horrible surgery to recover from and although I am exhausted and have quite a bit of pain, it is nothing I can't handle. I already have significant improvement in my arms and hands. Most of my pain now is surgical and exhaustion.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery. Prayers for a positive outcome! I feel very blessed!

I will say, you will likely lose some weight from this surgery, I simply have little to no appetite and when I do eat a bite or two satisfies me. I have lost 9 lbs in just under a week.
  • Hi Rhonda, I had my C4-C7 fused, donor bone, plate with 8 screws, 4 inch vertical incision on right side. My surgery was done 5/18. Everyone recovers differently. I think it really depends on your health and conditions, the skill of your surgeon and commitment to your aftercare. I personally have been told to wear a hard collar 12 weeks, even when sleeping and showering, then I will go to a soft collar for a few weeks. I'll begin PT at 10 weeks. The surgery healed my arm pain completely and protected me from becoming paralyzed, so I'm grateful for that.
    My numbness is slowly getting better and my strength will hopefully come back. I've heard up to two years to see maximum improvement. My voice is still very high and strained even though they gave me a medrol dose pack after surgery. My incision still hurts at times, especially after eating. Swallowing is slowly getting better for me. My neck is becoming so stiff from the collar. At times I feel claustrophobic while I'm trying to fall asleep because of it, but you get over it. I continue to take my muscle relaxer at night to deal with the spasms from being stiff and it helps me relax to sleep in the collar.
    I like others also lost weight, 13 pounds since the surgery. I also still feel tired. It is a major surgery. I try to walk each day and track it with a pedometer to get my strength back.
    Wishing you the best for your upcoming surgery! Prayers and healing thoughts to you!
  • Thank you Glad to hear your recovering ok from your surgery. My surgery is next week on the 18th got my pre op done yesterday discuss everything with my Doctor now i'm waiting scared to death but it will be ok its in Gods Hands and I trust my doctor
  • I am three weeks post op for three level ACDF. My NS had me wear the hard brace all the tme except at bed sleeping. I slept great these last three weeks and he just gave me the okay to do away with the brace completely. I am doing neck exercise now with no pain. Just stiff. I am VERY tired and my stomach is queasy. I am just curious why so many people have to wear a brace so long. I actually feel better without it.
  • I am not certain about why some people have to wear the brace so long. In my case, I had a 3 level fusion C4 through C7 and a 1 level corpectomy. They removed my entire C5 vertebrae. I was told they want that extra support while my bones fuse together.
    For now, I am supposed to wear it all day but if I wanted to sleep in the soft collar I could. Unfortunately my neck hurts badly when I don't wear it. The pain is more tolerable while wearing it. The soft color offers no support for me at all.

Not sure about others.
  • I am 3 days post op now 3 levels and removal c-5. I have to wear collar 24/7. NS said my bones were bad ( to me that means they split and broke off when he tried to put screws in. I would say (guess) that how unstable your neck is depends on if/ how long you will wear a brace.While in hospital, They took the front of my collar off to remove a drain and when they took off they said "don't move your neck!"

• Faith981Faith981 Posts: 78
    edited 06/14/2015 - 5:56 PM
    Ivy, I didn't realize your c5 broke during surgery. Thank goodness you sound like you are healing well. My surgeon tells me that the collar is really just a reminder to not turn your head while it is fusing. They actually don't want patients resting on it and becoming atrophied but you can't help some of that happening if you can't turn your head.