Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

low back pain with groin pain after surgery

fsoftballffsoftball Posts: 19
edited 06/04/2015 - 11:23 AM in Lower Back Pain
A little history first

I had a herniated L4/L5 disc first diagnosed back in April of 2014. I was told physical therapy should relieve the sciatic pain which I was experiencing from the disc. By the end of July my sciatic pain was gone and I foolishly figured my problems were behind me,thus I became very lax wjtj the exercises I was doing to strengthen my core. Some time in the middle of September I was lifting something in the garage and I felt a twinge in my back. Two days later the sciatic pain was back. I had an MRI which showed a bulge that both my primary doctor and my back Dr. said would not heal itself. They said a Microdiscectomy was my only option for pain relief.

I had the surgery in the middle of October and the pain relief was immediate. My surgeon said he could not believe I was even walking because the nerve was so compressed. My recovery was pretty much uneventful, some setbacks that we all have and we all freak out about. I was back at work after 5 week and released to return to normal activities( bending ,twisting and lifting ) after 4 months. My surgeon said physical therapy was not needed because I was doing so well. The only question I had for him at the time was I was having a slight pang of pain when I was going from a sitting position to a standing . He said he never heard of that after surgery and sent me on my way. I didn't push the issue because I was so happy I was going to start working out and stretching as i felt like my whole mid section was so tight that a couple of weeks of stretching would loose every thing up and life would be back to normal.

Unfortunately the pain in my groin continued to get worse as time went by. I went back to Primary doctor and he sent me to PT try and fix my problem. My PT after examining my said my psoas muscle was a mess and we started doing exercise to loosen it up. I was seeing minor improvements in the weeks that followed. The weird thing about my groin pain at the time was that it would go from one side to the other every week or so. The last month and a half though the pain has been only in my left groin and can be any where to 1 to a 7 or eight on the pain scale bur only last for a couple of seconds and then I can walk with minor pain. but start to "waddle after about 5 minutes because of lower back pain.

About a month ago the pain in my groin when going from sitting to standing has intensified. Also when I lay down to go to sleep every time I go to roll over i get a burning sensation in my groins and inner thighs. Sleeping more than a couple of hours a night has become very hard.. I went back to my primary Dr and he prescribed a steroid pack and another MRi. The results were there was :

L1-l2,L2-l3,l3-l4,l5-S1 are all normal

L4-L5 has residual enhancing granuiation tissue ( scar tissue?) within the left foramen. There is bony foraminal stenosis on the right side of L4-L5 level caused by degenerative osteophyte and facet hypertrophy.

I forgot to mention my back pain is inmy lower right side of my back.

My questions are

- with my major pain being groin pain on my left side and from what I understand, is being caused by the scar tissue on the left side of my disc, can I get some relief by doing streetches and exercises that may loosen up the scar tissue?
- Can the burning sensation in my inner thighs be caused by my MRI results? I have a personal feeling that my SI joint may be out of position.

I would love to hear some thought or somebodies experience with similar symptoms

Thanks in advance