Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What's helpful for you?

GM12GGM12 Posts: 94
edited 07/31/2015 - 9:18 AM in Chronic Pain
Here's my original post with my situation in detail --> http://www.spine-health.com/forum/pain/chronic-pain/youre-young-you-do-it

Summary: I do have a prescription for Soma and Lortab, but I prefer not taking it if I don't have to. However, my pain is typically a 7-8.5/10 on a daily basis (i.e sometimes worse, sometimes not as bad). Also, I have been doing yoga for years.

My question is, besides medication (or in conjunction with your medication), what helps ease your pain?

• I can think of 2 things that help ease my pain:

One is a hot shower in the morning. Inside my simple shower head there used to be a small piece of plastic (maybe it's called a Water Saver) that restricts the flow of water. I think these are mandatory in most shower heads. Anyway, I used a pair of pliers to strip that bad boy out and now the water comes out much faster for a great massage. The downside is that the shower mildew grows faster and the hot water runs out much faster. Oh well.

Another trick I have to ease the pain is "meditation." (I'm not sure if it's technically meditation, but it's close enough.) After a hot bath, I found I can lie down in a dim, quiet room and not move. I can close my eyes and maybe listen to quiet music, and my mind just relaxes. It helps if I'm at least a little medicated because my anxiety can be through the roof. I need to teach my mind to shut up and be a better listener. The chores, the mail, feeding the dogs, planning for tomorrow, checking the clock...can all wait.
  • GM12GGM12 Posts: 94
    edited 06/05/2015 - 10:46 AM
    Thanks for your response. Scientifically speaking, that's close to "meditation." I study meditation a lot in my course of study, meditation is often used in pain management. I'm glad it helps you!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,871
    Then scroll down till you find "The Blend"

That will explain how so many of us deal with chronic pain
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • GM12GGM12 Posts: 94
    edited 06/05/2015 - 6:25 PM
    I've had no luck with PT on its own. However, yoga has helped a bit, especially with stiffness and muscle tightness.

Since yoga has helped, I'm thinking about asking my PCP on Monday's appointment if I can try PT again, but this time in conjunction with my medication. I don't think it would hurt to ask.

I've found the hot tub helps a bit too :)
  • It helps me more than trying to meditate. God gave me a very creative mind and it just wanders when I try to meditate so for me guided imagery is better. One was given to me by another member here that has helped a lot. Can't remember the day's name but I can locate it if anyone is interested. I also get facials. The hot steam helps my pain and my too full mind.

Someone said in earlier posts that if you eat good food and watch comedies it helps. I think some people may have been offended by this but I tend to agree. There is no magic pill to make things like they were before. Eating good food is a nice thing to do for your body and mind if you are willing to stop for a minute and consider it. Silly comedies help too. Sometimes you need them to prove to yourself that you still can laugh.

For me, I just do not want to take medications that alter my mind. If the meds would cure me (like high blood pressure meds) I would take them. If the meds only dull my senses so I am not as aware then I don't want that.

These are just things I do, my own personal strategies and what works for me. I hope this helps. Sending healing thoughts and prayers your way.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,871
    I would say that for most people who have lived in chronic pain for over 10 years understands the value of their medications.
    Does it alter their minds? After a while, no, is it a sense of impairment? maybe.
    I have been tested to make sure that my skills are ok while on my pain medications. I have not failed any of them including driving.
    But I am only a low daily dosage (Oxycodone 5mg IR 4-6 prn)

Keep in mind, blood pressure medications does not CURE high blood pressure. It keeps it under control Same with insulin pills or injections for those with diabetes. Those medications do not cure it, again, it keeps it under control.

And that is true for many medications, including pain, nerve and muscle oriented medications.

Sure eliminating all medications is an objective. Its very hard to do with our western medicine approaches. Taking a look into
    the eastern culture medicine and you will see more natural methods without the need for chemicals.

That is why I believe in "The Blend", not because I wrote that thread, but because I live it.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have found that using certain weight machines (I don't know the names, forgive me) have been helping a bit as well.
  • I am also very reluctant to take pain meds since both of my parents had substance abuse issues. But after awhile I realized I was hurting myself but not using them. Sure I do other things so that I can take the least amount. Exercising and siting in the hot tub are my primary source of pain relieve. I only take the meds when I have been on a 10 for a few days. Usually a muscle relaxer for a day or two will take it back down.

A lot of us feel that pain meds are the last option. I have dealt with clients who refuse to take pain meds because they are afraid of relapsing. I have a client who is on methadone maintenance so the pain meds don't work for him. He is having such a hard time. Like others already mentioned, the meds are only a part of the solution. Like diabetics, insulin may help but it's only part of the solution, eating right and exercising are also a part of it.
  • caroline2caroline2 Posts: 92
    edited 07/31/2015 - 8:26 PM
    I work to keep iburprofen to a minimum, take DGL for stomach protection and in between Pain RX oct supplement for pain reduction. I work with MSM for years as it does "calm" pain and now for a week am working for serrapeptase enzyme for pain and inflammation reduction too. As far as water soaking, our city added fluoride in 2009 and I cringe when I get under my shower, in and out of shower quickly. Fluoride is not our friend contrary to what "they" want the population to believe.

Before you try any supplement, herb, over the counter item, exercise program, mechanical aid, brace, etc always consult with your doctor to make sure you get their approval.
    Some of these products may be very effective, but no two individuals or medical conditions are alike. What works for one, may cause trouble for another..

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator

Bodywide OA, Fibro and complications from Hip Replacement.