Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need help/advice after meeting my NeuroSurgeon

I came back from a NeuroSurgeon. I have severe stenosis on (C4-c5, c5-c6, c6-c7) and I have pain between my shouldblades and shoulders that come and go (with anti-inflammatory medicines). Sometimes its severe. He tested my arms and legs and walks (those were good).

Now he says I am on border-line. My MRI is severe, my symptoms are not severe enough on the test. How do I deal with back pain and headache? He says to go back if I cannot manage the symptoms/pain. As I was driving back I was having severe pain between my shoulder-blades (I was fine when I was at the doctors office).

Those of you did surgery, did anyone do it for shoulder/chest/between-shoulderblade pain and occasional neuropathy? He is a conservative doctor (who does not do surgeries if the symptoms & MRI both do not look severe) and in my case, he seemed undecided. What should I do?

MRI shows C4-C7 severe steonosis. Pain in hand.
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,059
    You indicated that your MRI results indicated your condition was severe but your actual pain is not

What does your doctor say about that
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • SukhreSSukhre San Diego, CAPosts: 181
    He said "its up to you. You have to make up your mind. Or if you cannot manager the symptoms you have to do the surgery". I was hoping that shoulderbhlades and pain on upperback/chest would go away with medicines (advil/aleve/declofenac). It has been a while I am trying those meds and its not going away.
    I hear someone with just one osteophyte can have a lot of symptoms (it hits one nerve area, then spasms,that effects other nerves) and someone with a lot stenosis may have less symptoms . I do have symptoms (severe pain I have been to ER a few times this year with severe pain, I just did not have it when I saw the NS).
  • having severe stenosis and compression of the canal and nerve roots at multiple levels , the nerve pain was horrendous for many years, now many of the nerves are so extensively damaged or have died off, and the nerve pain is diminished.
    A very ,very recent consult with two surgeons said that the canal is only open the width of a sharpened pencil tip.

• For me it was my neck, arms, hands and fingers. All of those are completely gone, but now I have pain in my shoulders and shoulder blades. My pain now is from my recent surgery, 5/26/15. I' m not even 2 weeks post op yet. The pain in my arms was so bad that I couldn't dress myself, bathe myself. My poor wife was doing most of it. I. Think you have to decide if the pain is severe enough to warrant surgery or not. I had 5 levels fused, C3-C7. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Ken
  • Sukhre everyone's case is different so I can only speak from my own experience. In 2012 I had a severe episode of neck/shoulder/right arm pain that actually kept me out of work for 8 weeks. At the time I was told by an orthopedic surgeon that I had a near-complete collapse of disc C5/6 and 6/7 and that he felt my only option at that time was to schedule a cervical fusion surgery. I went for a second opinion to a neurosurgeon who encouraged additional more conservative measures. It was a routine of cervical traction twice a day every day using this very specific device called a Saunders Pneumatic Cervical Traction unit. I used it 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the evening and I never missed a day for two years. So I was able to postpone surgery during that time but was most remarkable is that I was COMPLETELY pain-free until my most recent episode when I did end up needing to have surgery. The discs had completely collapsed and I was beginning to lose function in my right arm, the pain was much worse and the traction was no longer helping. But at least I had the benefit of buying myself some time. Technology and surgical procedures change and improve constantly.

My reason for sharing this is I believe in seeking a second opinion when it comes to important medical decisions. As far as this traction device, if you are curious if it's for you then you should discuss it with your doctor.

Hope this is helpful.
    BJB16
    C5/6, 6/7 acdf Jan 2015
    Sandi,

I appreciate your feedback. Did you have a Surgery? I think you did. Are you doing well on your recovery?

Thanks
    Niaz
    You fused 4 levels? Is there a concern of neck motions if 3 or 4 layers are fused?
    I have so many symptoms. I probably have to have a surgery. But if I can try with physical therapy for six months or so that would be great!
  • grammaof9ggrammaof9 Posts: 263
    edited 06/10/2015 - 11:14 PM
    I needed a 4 level for impinged spinal cord. I had arthritic cervical stenosis with mylemalcia. If not fused risk of complete paralysis. Not sure about my spelling on the m word it's been awhile. I will tell you this I had no choice if I had had a choice and know what I know now I would not have had it done. The long term pain is probably forever and them I am told some people have no problem after healing not true with me. I went for 4 different opinions and I would highly suggest that, Neuro as well as Ortho. Every few months I am back in therapy for the headaches and dizziness. Pain meds daily but not just for my neck. Never on pain meds before surgery. Research, research and discuss with all your doctors long term pain. If a doc told me not severe Inwould have been so happy and out the door.
    Vicki
advertisement