Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post surgery--Worried about back pain during pregnancy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Lower Back Pain
I had a partial discectomy in my lumbar region last year. I still have a lot of lower back pain, although thankfully, not much nerve pain anymore. I'm 32 years old, and I haven't had any children yet. My husband and I are planning to soon, and I'm worried about the strain of preganancy and labor on my back. Has anyone been in this position to tell me your experience? Any info would be helpful.

• i had my first surgery when i was 19...i got preganant at 25, the pregnancy was not too bad, but once i hit 6months i did stop working, at the time my neuro recommended to have a c-section , but i opted not too, BIGGEST MISTAKE!!!!!!! The labor was all in my back and no-one could understand where i was coming from, i wanted to kill someone, lol!!! They were hesitant to give the epidural cause of my 2 prior surgeries, but i had a letter from my nuero saying it was ok. ok so, 3 years later, PG again (in between that I was recommended to have a fusion, but i was way too scared). 2nd prgnancy AWFUL WITH PAIN. I could hardly walk (once I hit 5 months). My mom was working for a dr at the time, and they rented some of their space to a chiro. He specialized in pregnant woman, I never ever went to one cause I was scared. My mom said just talk to him and see. I was out of options, I could not walk 2 feet, so iwent to see him. At first he did not want to touch me after reading my mri reports. His exact words to me were "There are some people that I know for sure taht I can help them, you are not one of those people", so I begged him, and he helped me like no tomorrow, all the pain was not gone but it was totally managable!!! I could not thank him enough. So long story short, I was scheduled for a c-section for 9/11, 9/9 I go into labor, rush to the hospital, bam about 30 minutes later I'm holding my daughter, NO BACK PAIN, NO LABOR PAINS!!! Best thing I could have ever done. I hope I do not scare you, but as long as you are prepared, things will be ok. Lots of rest and definitely a scheduled c-section!!!
  • I had my L4-L5-S1 fusion at 19yo and had my 1st child at 24, second at 26 no pain at all no problems after. At 30 I had my third and had some discomfort during pregnancy, but after I was hurting and had to go through PT, epidural shots, pain meds and found out I had herniated L3-L4. They said it may or may not be related to labor, but since I don't recall it being acute pain they thought it was just the wear that normally happens with a fusion. Got back to work at 6 weeks, off meds no problems. At 32 I was pregnant with twins and had pain, went to PT took 1 5mg Lortab daily during 2nd/third trimester (not much pain during first). MD had no problem with the Lortab, said it was so minimal that by the time my body processed it the effects on the babies were minimal. Plus, if I was in pain and went into labor early that was ten times worse. Delivered 8lb and 8 1/2lb twins c-section at 38wks (they were big and 38wks with twins is about how long they like to go). Same routine for 8wks,pt, meds..back to work but a few more issues. At 35 pregnant again, twins, same thing, same recovery. They came at 36 weeks due to an abrupted placenta, still 8lbs and 6 1/2 lbs.
    When the youngest were 2yo my back began hurting and I am now on disability and don't know what the future will hold. Don't regret the pregnancies at all. The SI pain was pain! It got worst with each pregnancy, it would pop out and I could put my finger on top of the joint when it was sticking out of my lower back (SI joints are suppose to have very little movement, but during pregnancy everything relaxes).
    Even my docs say that looking at all MRIs and history that even if I had never gotten pregnant I would not be in the same state.
    If I were in your shoes (and I have been) I would be getting into PT and working out, also getting the pain under control. Maybe steroid injection or two could help, you may have some swelling that is going on after your surgery that is causing your pain. I am assuming since you are still in pain that they have repeated the MRI? Have a proactive discussion with your OB about how things are going to be handled during pregnancy, his opinions on pain medication, pt, c-section etc. For me, I don't think c-sections with the first 3 would have made a difference (MDs have the same opinion, 2 c-sections were due to large breech twins). I agree with the chiro, I had adjustments during my last 3 pregnancies. Plus, I had 2 epidurals for pain for vaginal deliveries and then for c-sections and never one problem they worked perfectly. I did bring my MRI with me to the hospital so they could see it, none had a problem with it. Did have horrible back labor with the 3rd, but she was face up(they should be face down, that can cause alot of back pain).
    One interesting thing is that if you have had more than 3 abdominal surgeries they will not do any anterior approach surgeries for your back (don't know how many children you want, but something to think about).
    I can say that I worked out before and during all of my pregnancies, made sure my weight was at its best and loved the pool. If you can stregthen your back and abs before you will be ahead of the game. Satin sheets are great for back pain and pregnancy. Sorry so long,
    wish you all the best. Please send along any other questions.
  • Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. I've been terrified about what it will be like with a back problem. My surgeon seemed to think it was nothing to worry about, but he's clearly never given birth before. I got a response from someone else too, and the consensus definitely is to see a chiropractor. Good to know. I guess my best bet is to talk to my surgeon and my ob/gyn. Other than that, it sounds like I'll just have to expect pain, but hope for a good chiropractor!

Thanks again!
  • Momof7 --- all I can say is wow! 7 kids after a fusion??? I appreciate so much your thoughts on this. It looks like I'll definitely be looking for a chiropractor! And, talking with my ob/gyn. I have not had a repeat MRI. My doctor says that the less disc, the less cushion -- his explanation for my pain. Also, I have gained weight since the surgery, since I couldn't keep up with my usual work out. I think you're right, I need to get in as best shape as I can before getting pregnant -- probably wise with or without back problems (can't just go out and jog a couple of miles anymore). I'm working on that. Thanks again!
  • hey listen just make sure all your doccs are on the same page, and i bet if you go into it doing some of the core exercises, and keeping all of that good, you will be fine!!!
  • Hi!

I just had my 2 level ALIF 4 months ago. My pain and symptoms started after the birth of my twins 6 1/2 years ago which were my 3rd and 4th babies. At that point I did PT, massage and meds. Pain got better and then I had another pregnancy 3 years ago. Within 2 weeks of delivery I was back at PT with considerably more pain. This was the beginning of the end of my back in that I then went down the epidural path, meds, PT, muscle manipulation you name it I tried it!

I have been told by my ortho that having more is not a problem. Don't think I want to take that on at this point but it is nice to know that I have the option. I would recommend exactly what mom of 7 said. Talk with your OB. Look into core strengthing exercises. I used a support belt that you can find in materity stores that helps lift your belly and this did relieve some of the lower back discomfort. Strongly recommend getting one.

Whether my problem of spondy was caused by my pregnancies or deliveries (only twins were c-section the other 3 were normal but long and difficult) I will never know. But even if that was the cause I would not have changed anything and still would have had a large family.

Being proactive in your care will help a great deal. Good luck and if you have any other questions please let me know.
This discussion has been closed.