Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

l5-s1 fusion excellent decision

mikkammikka Posts: 1
edited 06/08/2015 - 5:04 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Im hereby fulfilling a promise I gave myself before my surgery, which is to tip the balance of real world stories at least a little bit towards the realistic situation. I remain convinced that for good logical reasons one can get a vastly skewed negative picture of the success rate/life after back surgery in general and lumbar fusion specifically. I believe this is simply because if things work, you don't bother writing about it and you just enjoy getting your life back.

But what you end up with, if you look for pre-surgery info and assurance is a horrifyingly unjust selection of people who got no relief or they are worse. Having known bad pain and disappointment, I can only wish them strong willpower, optimism, luck and not losing hope so they will eventually get better.

But if you are like me, reading up before your surgery and are just getting more and more scared, know that there are a lot of successes as well and that advice like "never let anyone with a knife near your spine" is just bs, though born out of understandable desperation.

I wont give you any specific advice, its all on the net already, ill just point out this: read up, prepare psychologically, get 2,3,4 opinions, choose your surgeon and hospital well, pay up if you can afford it, have a fighting attitude, arrange for practical help once you return home and ask for the support of family and friends. How? Look it up.

My story: herniated dics l5-s1 pressing on right sciatic nerve, months of pain in 2012, manageable, nothing for 3 years, Feb 2015 first attack, 1 month of excruciating pain, getting slightly better (able to walk for 20 mins) , middle of April second attack, pain from hell, morphine and stronger stuff, sleeping for 4 days in a sitting position. 30 April 2015 - 2 hour surgery, 3 days in hospital, pain in leg gone immediately, wound pain acceptable, no morphine used, Day 4 walking with crutches, 200 metres. Walking every day, increasing slightly, moving extra carefully. Toilet no problem. Week 2 end of tramadol, walking 1 kilometer, Week 3 - end of paracetamol, medication free, walking 2-3 km per day. Week 4-5 getting better by the day, nearing week 6 can walk at an almost normal pace, for as much as i like within what is actually necessary to live a normal day. Wound pain almost gone, things to lift feel easier, can do gentle twisting from hip to hip on a single bed, no more log rolling necessary. Stiffness that took more than a minute to go away after lying down almost non-existent. Tiny moments of the leg falling asleep gently. First check-up today, all fine.

42 years male, overweight but not in an entirely bad shape, non-smoker

Will update when I have news-worthy stuff to share.
Will try to answer questions, pls be patient.

• Hi yes I agree totally. I tried to post here positive comments about my fusion which I had on April 28 th this year. But I got next to no response so I gave up. I just pop in every now and again to the site. I thought maybe its because i am a Brit?
    I am 6 weeks out from 5 hour fusion where my back was first broken then fused. I am actually taller as my back didn't grow properly in the first place. Off all meds at 4 weeks making steady progress. I have been incapacitated for so long that i have no reflexes and my muscles all need stretching. Good Luck to you.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427

Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    edited 06/08/2015 - 11:31 PM
    It is always good to hear of success stories and thank you for sharing yours, sharing your experience.

I believe you are probably right about people with success with their spinal issues, and or with their spinal surgeries , do go on with their lives being more back to normal and pain free and I'm assuming with a lot of gratitude towards their doctors and or surgeons.

I , myself, have never been a candidate for surgery. But I've become more stable through my pain management doctor and limiting activities and that's success for me!

Much of what I needed from this site, is how to cope with what has become my new normal.
    It was like going through the stages of grief, for me.

This site has been encouraging, and so informative. Not the least of with members and their support, but, also, the vast info found here through articles and videos. I have always viewed SH as giving out hope .

When you read about someone mentioning "never let a knife near your spine" , I don't think it's from desperation as much as their experiences with previous surgery and many times multiple surgeries and or the experiences of people they know.
    Everyone is so individual with their spine issue, their body's response to treatments, medications and or surgeries.

Everyone's experiences are different . As you mentioned, strong will power, in your list of luck, etc....and not losing hope so they will eventually get better,..
    Having will power and hope are not the only requirements "so they will eventually feel better" as in returning to previous life without pain and lifted restrictions, so can continue with lifting, twisting, etc...

To me it sounds a little like blaming the person in pain, for their response of still having their chronic pain.

Although my body , my life, may be becoming increasingly limited, I still continue to feel better everyday!
    My attitude better everyday. My gratitude for docs, friends, support system.

Again, thanks for sharing your success story and I wish you the best on your continued recovery!
    And thank you for listening to my success story. :)

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History