Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Didn't work or still too soon???

Hi guys! This Wed I'll be 4 weeks post my 360 spinal fusion of my L4-S1. From right post op until 2 &1/2 weeks post op I felt great outside of burning in both feet & nerve pain in both legs at times. I had the nerve pain in my whole left leg & to the knee in the right pre-op. I was prepared for it to take some time to resolve after surgery & possibly get worse before it gets better based on my research. Well, when I went in for my 2 week post-op visit my Dr placed me on gabapentin. I started it on a Friday, I could not adjust to it at all. I was dizzy, had tunnel vision, mid calf to toes were numb on my left foot, I was running into things, and my family was unable to wake me up once I feel asleep (I took it at night & was suppose to add a day dose after a few days). The Monday after I started the gabapentin my pain level increased greatly. After 6 days on the gabapentin I called my Dr's office, explained I could just not adjust to the gabapentin & mentioned my increased pain level. They stopped the gabapentin & said they didn't want to order another med at this time because they want to see if the increased pain could be gabapentin related. I have been off the gabapentin 3 nights now ( only took for 6 nights) & my pain level hasn't gone down. I'm still having to take Percocet daily. According to my Dr I should be off narcotics by 4 weeks & in some of his paperwork it says he won't issue a refill after that point. I'm now worried that maybe the surgery has failed but I happened to meet a gentleman Saturday who had a fusion & he said it took him 6 months to be pain free. So, I guess after all that I'm wondering if the gabapentin could cause increased pain & maybe it's not been long enough to decrease yet, or I'm still too soon post-op to be pain free, or did I just fight work comp for almost 2 years & undergo this surgery for nothing.

• I am 11 weeks out and unfortunately still have plenty of pain. Saw my Dr yesterday and he insists that nothing is wrong with the fusion and I have to give it time, that not everybody bounces back quickly. I know it s awful, but you still have a long road ahead of you. Wish you the best!
    Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF) Surgery (Open) L2/L3 (23Mar15)
  • I am 9 weeks post op, 2 level ACDF, went back to work for three days last week, still get tired just walking and standing around. Some muscles are sore at the end of the day. You are only 4 weeks, still VERY early in the game. I know you will hate listening to this.. but you need to give it more time... rest and listen to your body. Surgery can only fix what's structurally wrong with you.. the nerve and pain is a different story! Hang in there!