Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Almost 3 weeks post op C6/C7 ACDF

Just checking in to see where everyone else is at this point (or was). I returned to work last week which was 2 weeks post op. I had successfully started to taper down the pain med but returning to work caused me to get back on schedule. (every 6 hours robaxin and norco) But within the last 4 days I sometimes make it to 9 hours before taking the prescribed meds. I don't want to deal with a pain clinic and my surgeon doesn't give any refills other than the one when I was discharged at the hospital + 1 refill at my 2 week post op appointment. So, I hope I am able to wean and just do OTC meds with an occasional tramadol.

There are times I have no pain at all and hardly any stiffness. Each day truly does seem better across the board. Throat problems (any and all) haven't been an issue since 2 weeks post op. I wear the cervical collar the majority of my day (work day even). The only time I am not wearing it is when bathing, eating and sleeping as well as when I'm sitting and relaxing with my head rested against the chair. When I am upright I try to always have it on. Honestly, it feels good to me. The support is comfortable and reassuring in the way of letting me know I'm still healing. Sometimes I feel nearly 100% better but that doesn't mean I need to behave that way.

I can only hope things continue to be this good and also get better :-)
ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
...and it was the best decision of my life :-)

• Hey Denise,

I'm glad things are going well for you. Keep up your spirits it takes a good 8 to 12 weeks for the average person's pain to go away in a single level ACDF.

Don't do too much outside of work until your stamina builds up. Books, walks and movies until then.

Best wishes,

• RuslinRRuslin Posts: 29
    edited 06/10/2015 - 5:14 AM
    It is really great that you are doing so well so soon after surgery. It helps me to know that the recovery is not always awful. My acdf c5-c7 is in 7 days. I have more anxiety each day. Not about the surgery but the recovery. Thank you for sharing :)
  • I know it's a process, most definitely and that I will have good days and bad days. So far though, it's like moments because the pain alerts me to slow down and take it easy and once I do that, it's resolved.

My issues come more with anxiety on getting injured or physically hurt since I am in a delicate state right now. Like driving/riding in a vehicle, going to the pool (slipping down or having a kid fall on my head in the water, etc.)

Ruslin, best wishes for your upcoming surgery! I wish I would have gotten surgery months ago. I hope things work well for you. Keep us posted.

Wolfie, thanks. You've helped me through this process tremendously. I hope you're doing well in your recovery as well.
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
    ...and it was the best decision of my life :-)