Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Climbing a stair after the release from Surgery

I might have a C4-C7 fusion. My lease is up. I live in an apartment. Should I must find a ground floor apartment? I know they release the patient in 2 days. How can the patient climb the stair? Do I need a stretcher to take me home?
MRI shows C4-C7 severe steonosis. Pain in hand.

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    If I took it real slow and had railings it is possible. But with that being said my neurosurgeon told me to not use stairs for the first few weeks so I would sit on my butt and go up the stairs one at a time
  • Hi,
    I wood choose the first floor just to make it easier on you while recovering.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    I have never been candidate for surgery, so can't speak specifics re your situation.

I live alone, so maybe my considerations were/are different than yours, also.

Initially, with my spinal situations, I was on second floor apartment__no elevator.
    Things were okay for awhile, but then symptoms started to worsen and I found bringing groceries up the stairs to be quite the chore.
    My arms became weak and , surprisingly to me at the time, my legs would give out , while I'm on the stairs going up.
    So awkward and painful to say the least.
    And I already had limits on how much I could carry, so packages were not heavy, but still.....

My apartment complex was great about allowing me to move to first floor apartment. I didn't even need to wait for my lease to be up. They helped me immediately. Wow, so kind!

Now with first floor, I also bought one of those collapsible folding carts with handle to walk with, to keep in my car trunk and use it to bring in ,whatever , instead of carrying anything into apartment. I use it to bring things into car, also..or garbage out.

I am not sure of any restrictions you may have or for how long, but how do you do with your range of motion with your neck?
    Mine has its limits, some days more than others.
    Getting down the stairs was difficult for me in that way, also, as I tried to watch my step, and look out for other people possibly using stairs, also.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hi Sukhre,
    That is a pretty big fusion surgery you are having. Not sure how much leg involvement that you have but if your Doc says you can do stairs and you have a railing maybe you can do it. I am a PT and if there is a steady railing I have my patients use both rails and go up with their strong leg first and follow with their weak leg 1 step at a time. Exactly opposite for going down go down with bad leg first then follow with weaker leg. Some people also only have one rail and hold the rail with both hands and go up and down sideways one step at a time. But to feel comfortable doing this you need to have strength in your legs. Best of luck and check with Doc about precautions.
  • SukhreSSukhre San Diego, CAPosts: 181
    I am not haveing the fusion. That was something the first surgeon suggested. But now its all up in the air.
  • SukhreSSukhre San Diego, CAPosts: 181
    So one has to stay downstairs I would think...?