Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I think it's my SI joint has anyone had surgery? Help

I'm totally new to this area. My husband has been in this site a while because he is disable due to total back fusion. I'm in need help help and advice to see if anyone is going threw the same thing I am. Back in June 2014 I had pain on right side of hip area in back. I thought it was kidneys but after many test they figured out I has a ruptured disc at L2-L3 and also my nerve root was pinched by a very large bone spur. I had surgery in August 2014 to remove the bone from the rupture disc. He couldn't get to bone spur at this point. So five weeks later he wanted to go back in and try to remove the vine spur which he did in October 2014. At this time I was told my L2 nerve root was totally beaten and the doctor didn't see how I lived this long with such a large bone spur. He said it was so bad he didn't know if it could regenerate itself or not. I begged to see my doctor again but his staff wouldn't let me see him because they said the physical medicine would follow me. He tried several medicine for nerve blocking but I serve side effects from them I was still in serve pain and now seeing a pain management doctor that had done at least six injections on me. I decided to go for a second opinion, and glad I did. He did a discogram and found my disc were torn from L2-L5 area and this was the cause of my pain and he mentioned the Si joint to me also. I decided to let him do a fusion in April 20, 2015 on L2-L4. At this time he didn't want to include L4-L5 because I didn't show pain in this are but it was torn. He said if it wasn't painful he didn't want to mess with it. This doctor told me in 6 weeks I should be good enough to go back to work. Here we are 8 weeks later and I'm having serve pain in right hip and now pain in left hip. I can only sleep on my back. I'm back in the pain as before I can't get in and out of car without serve pain, can't lay on either side and can't push shopping cart one dust broom without serve pain and I'm in tears bc I'm hurting so bad when laying flat on my back I can't even pick up my hips without use of my hands to help. . I'm on 4 Oxycodone 15mg a day and robaxin. This is hardly touching this pain. Now my surgeon wants to do a ct scan on June 15th to see what's going on in my back and my SI joint. And all physical therapy was cancelled until results are in from ct bc it's only making me hurt worse in both of my hips. I'm at a lost for if I should let him do SI surgery if needed or get another second opinion? I just wonder if my nerve was so beaten could that be the cause of this pain? I just don't know. Is anyone facing these same issues? Please help.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    then based on that outcome, you can decide if you want to seek a second opinion.

If surgery is being called for, then definitely have the second opinion

What I would want to know is if the doctor said you should be pretty good to go in 6 weeks, but at 8 weeks you are still in a lot pain, then what happened?

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • RenabrittRRenabritt Posts: 4
    edited 06/09/2015 - 3:44 PM
    That is why he wants to do a ct scan on Monday to make sure fusion is ok and no other disc ruptured. But he believes this serve pain is SI joint. Last night I slept in SI brace with legs elevated on wedge in hospital bed. When I got up this morning I had hardly any pain. First time in the last year. So now I believe it's my SI joint bc pain was gone by sleeping in brace. But of course up and moving during the day the pain has came back and I've had to take my medicine but I'm really scared about an SI surgery.
  • PainIndaCheeksPPainIndaCheeks Posts: 1
    edited 07/05/2015 - 8:56 PM
    My experience is similar to yours. I had L5-S1 fused 12-29-14. I still had a lot of pain at 6 weeks, but was told it would go away, so I went back to work at my desk job even though I still needed pain killers. I would wake up & drive to work, take a pain killer when I got there & then take when I arrived back home at night. At my 12 week follow up, my ortho surgeon diagnosed sacroiliitis. I then got a steroid injection in my left si joint that lasted for about 2 weeks. The pain then really came back with a vengeance! My doc took another MRI that showed sacroiliitis on both sides. I then had nerve blocks to see if I'd be eligible for radiofrequency ablation (RFA) & was basically guaranteed that RFA would work for me in 5-7 days. Here I am nearly 4 weeks later & still requiring a lot of pain killers every day & my pain management doc has given up & says all she can now do for me is give me the Cymbalta, Lyrica, and Norco. Some days are better than others, but when it's bad, I can hardly sit, stand, walk, or lie down. I'm only 43 & until last year when my back totally have out from DDD & retrolisthesis, I was quite active. Now, I always walk with a cane & sometime have to use crutches. I got a temporary handicap placard a week ago & I should have gotten it long ago. I'm worried I will need it permanently, but I have finally found a doctor that does si fusion & am trying to schedule an appointment.

Good luck to you & I wish you the very best!

Moderator's message...Please click on link for helpful information
    Welcome to Spine-Health
  • Yes it seems like you have exactly what I have. I did go to have the rhitizomy but the dr doing it gave me radio frencency block at L2-S2. And both SI joints. He said if this worked for at least three hours then he was sure that the rhitizomy would work. Needless to say by the time I got home I was in serve pain and it didn't help at all. I go see my surgeon on July 16 and I'm sure we will set up surgery for right SI joint. I'm only 45 and feel like I'm 70. I hurt so bad in both hips now. I can't go back to work bc I can't sit for long periods or stand for long period. I just filed for Social Security disability, I've been in pain for over a year now. It has gotten so old.