Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello from Alabama

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in New Member Introductions
I'm new and found this site through google. I had a partial diskectomy in my lower back last year. I'm 32 years old. Still having daily back pain (but luckily very little nerve pain) and trying to let go of the things I can't do now. Very glad there is a site like this one. If anyone can "talk" to me about having kids after back surgery, that would be most helpful. My husband and I have no children yet, and I'm a little worried about it.

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are having daily back pain. several women on the site are asking the same questions you are about pregnancy. i hope they drop by. good luck and i wish you the best in the children department. Jenny :)
  • Hello Heather and welcome to the forum.. I'm sorry I can't help you with your question, in my case I had my first surgery after my second child and that was it.. My surgeon at the time recomended me not to get pregnant again but that was in my case...
    Have you discussed that with your surgeon? What did he say?

Good luck to you ...

• welcome to SH! I was wondering how much of your disc was removed? I had most of mine removed and am the same as you. No nerve pain but major back pain. You may want to talk to your doc about any precautions you should take with pregnancy. I am sure that it will add to your back pain but maybe there are things that you can do to minimize it. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Thank you all for the welcome and the comments. I have received some responses on another message board about pregancy after back surgery, and it's just so nice to hear that someone else has gone through it and what they have experienced. Thanks again.

Painintheback --- I'm not sure just how much of my disc was removed, but it was a significant portion according to my surgeon. The more is removed, the less cushion (and the more chance of pain) -- that's what I was told. My doctor told me that the best bet for less pain is to get my stomach and core muscles in shape, especially with pilates.
  • welcome to spine-health...
  • hello.. the people on here are great and you'll find lots of support. Sorry I can't help you with your question, but I did have some herniated discs while pregnant. I cut my hours back at work and took it easy.

take care!