Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long did single level fusion take to completely fuse?

Hello all,
Today I am 1 month post op for my ACDF C6-7. Just wondering how many months, years , days until people were completely fused? I know that if all things go extremely well I may be fused in 4 months but would love to hear from some of you that have actually gone through all of this. Some people never fuse too and I am praying that does not happen to me. Would love to hear some actual stories both good and bad. Thank you,

• sandi123ssandi123 Posts: 456
    edited 06/10/2015 - 4:05 AM
    It can take up to a year for a fusion to become solid, but there is usually some sign of bone growth evident before that.

• Thanks Sandi. Realizing now how much time it will take me to get back to work as a PT. I work in a nursing home with a lot of lifting involved. Likely the reason why I ended up with this darn injury in the first place. My husband and I both decided that I would not go back to work until my neck is completely fused. Why risk injury to my neck. I guess i was just I was thinking I would have to wait 4 months but now realizing that it may take much longer. Hopefully my bone stimulator will help increase the rate of fusion. May have to look for some other part time work. Thanks again.
  • It all depends on each individual. I had a C6/C7 ACDF done in 2013. I was pretty much good to go after 4 months without a spinal stimulator. It was discussed during the consultation, prior to the surgery, that I may need to use one because I was a heavy smoker for years and that can effect bone growth. After the surgery, the surgeon told me I didn't need one so he did not have one prescribed. He said I had very strong bones and I should heal just fine without it.

The bad thing is that I have so many other issues going on in my neck, I am still going working with pain management to get/keep the pain under control. The fusion did exactly what it was supposed to though. The pain and everything that was going wrong because of the C6/C7 level was corrected and is still fine to this day. It's just the other issues I need to have resolved, or controlled at a minimum.

Good luck with your recovery! Hope all continues on the right track. Just listen to what the doctor says and you should be fine.
    Sept 11, 2009 L4/L5 Microdiscectomy
    April 12, 2013 C6/C7 ACDF
    May 27, 2015 L4/L5 ALIF with PLIF
    Too many cervical and lumbar injections to list, including RF Ablation C3-C6 on the right and left.
  • Thank you Pooterosa. I am encouraged by your fusion rate.
  • more than enough bone growth that the area is stable and returning to work is fine. Your surgeon will order X rays to check for fusion along the way and tell you when he is comfortable with your resuming your career.

• My next appt will be my 8 week post op appt. I don't think the PA ordered x rays. Could you see some bone growth at that point? I had one 2 week post op that was just to check hardware. No bone growth obviously then.The x ray place is right below my appt so I will be sure to call my Doc and see if they want one. Thanks for the advice all.