Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

No change at all after MIcroDiscectomy on L5-S1

PaininfootPPaininfoot Posts: 35
edited 06/14/2015 - 12:08 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 6 days out of a MIcroDiscectomy on my L5 S1 area which I had because of foot pain caused by an impinged S1 nerve. I have had no change whatsoever in my foot pain - no better, no worse - just the same . I keep reading about folks who woke up from surgery and their pain was magically gone ... Have any of you had a slower recovery where the nerve pain persists after the op ? I am soooo sick of this !

Please spell out MD

Six days out of surgery. You need to be patient, recovery does not happen overnight

• Mandyb68MMandyb68 Posts: 2
    edited 06/12/2015 - 2:23 AM
    Hi! , i am 3 weeks into my recovery from the same operation. Mine was a left sided l5s1 op.
    I am experiencing pins and needles in both my legs a few times a day and also pain and numbness in the top of both feet after i have slept. This is distressing as it was only my left leg before the operation. I am walking each day and doing my exercises from a leaflet i was given. At the moment I feel like I will never be normal again. I have not driven yet and i am trying not to do too much but this is hard when I have a husband, two sons and two large dogs to care for.
    It is five weeks until I go back to see the consultant. I had the operation done at the xxxx Sheffield, uk.
    I keep reading on the internet that lots of other people have experienced similar symptoms but it still concerns me. I suppose I thought I would be instantly better.
    I am self employed so currently have no income what so ever. I don't qualify for benefits and my insurance apparently doesn't cover me, only my clients, their property and their animals. This is a total nightmare as i am using my savings just to buy food ect and they are disappearing fast!
    I am still on gaberpentin, tramadol, paracetamol, amertrixyline, and senna. 23 tablets a day in total. I have tried reducing these but as soon as i do the pain worsens and i have to up them again. I thought I would be on alot less meds after the operation, so this too is a disappointment. Would love to see the consultant sooner as I feel a little abandoned by the experts. I could do with someone around to tell me if this is normal or not.
    Hopefully this will help you to know that you are not alone.