Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Strange test by pain consultant

Please check my profile or signature for my pain history.

My latest antic involved dragging a large but lightweight bag backwards in the garden. I tripped and fell backwards. As luck would have it, there was a plastic storage box behind me and I hit it right on the corner with my coccyx.

I had immediate bilateral sciatic pain for which I was put back on morphine.

A week later, I was seen by a consultant anaesthetist in the pain clinic.

She made me bend forward to touch my toes (yeah, right ho, I've had fusion surgery)

She then pressed in a couple of places next to my spine which shot pain down my legs.

Then she said she was booking me in for a caudal epidural and some nerve root blocking injections.

My question is, what could she tell by pressing next to my spine and causing the sciatic pain?

L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.

• CherylCCCherylC Posts: 185
    edited 07/04/2015 - 4:31 AM
    By getting you to bend forward and pressing where she did she was able to confirm where the problem was and what the likely cause was. It would have helped her to make her diagnosis and decide on an appropriate treatment path.

Just watched my Physio do the same thing to my husband. He has been having difficulty walking for the past few weeks but refused to go and see about it because he was more concerned about me (I've been going through a tough time for a while). Finally got him to go for help by pointing out that if he doesn't get some treatment he could one day end up like me!

Outcome for him - spasmed piriformis coupled with arthritic facet joint problem was causing l4/5 to catch on the sciatic nerve. Set off because he has a 8mm leg length discrepancy and wasn't using his heel lifts! Three visits to the Physio, some appropriate exercises and the realisation that he really does need those heel lifts and he is much improved (thankfully). Would hate to see home go through what I have been through. A life of mobility issues and chronic pain is not fun.

Hope your treatment helps and you get better soon :)