Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ten more days till surgery - want to know the best thing I can do

HelloThereHHelloThere Posts: 1
edited 06/13/2015 - 7:53 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am getting a discectomy on my L4/5 8mm herniation in ten days still. I'm confused I can't take steroids or anti-inflammatories 7-10 days before surgery but they've given me pain killers with ibuprofen in them and said to take that instead... I've already lost dorsiflextion in my right foot and I feel the weakness is getting worse in both legs.
My story is that I had severe muscle spasms in my low back for three years following a car accident. Four months ago I went to see a doctor for a sharp pain that kept happening in my hip that i could tell was coming from my back, but wasn't super sure about it. Really quickly after that I started getting light sciatica pains down my right leg. I started physical therapy and did the exercises faithfully. At first they really helped but that didn't last. The pain intensified and intensified. It got so bad and was constant and I just kept trying to deal with it. It was so painful and it was running my life and stopping me or slowing me down to the point where I couldn't get anything done, couldn't even think it was always stabbing. I told my dr I had to get an MRI.
They took 12 days to look at my MRI to set me an appt with my referred nuerosurgeon because I am self pay and do not have insurance.
I missed the second day of my classes 11 days ago, I couldn't get in my car I knew it would hurt too much and i was already in so much pain.
Later that day I curved my spine sitting up in bed and heard a pop and felt blinding, screaming pain for three minutes. I was over a ten on the pain scale for the rest of that day and all of the next, in and out of the ER and it wasn't helping and I was having a lot of trouble getting my bladder to empty. I finally slept, woke up the next day and felt wobbly on my legs, realized I couldn't lift my right foot, my stabbing pain is gone and instead I have numbness and tingling sensations, especially where the stabbing used to be; but also in my left leg too and on the bottoms and tops of my feet and running diagonally across my shins. I won't try and list everything but has that happened to others? It's like the pain burned itself out and got replaced with all these other symptoms.
Anyways, Im just laying here scared since being scheduled for surgery not wanting to do anything else to aggravate my nerve further before it can be fixed. I don't have the pain anymore to tell what not to do so I just lay on my stomach ( that's the best position i had before and it hurts to lay on my back or side still) and go for short walks and get scared bc the tingling will come on when walking. They said I could drive but my feet are super numb and it doesn't feel safe and it used to put me in incredible pain. All I can think to help prevent further nerve damage the next ten days while off steroids is ice.

Also my MRI report states there is "severe left foraminal stenosis" at L5/S1 but they aren't going to do anything about that and think my symptoms being all over and in my left leg are from the large protrusion of my L4/5, even though it's to the right pushing enough to affect other nerves. I wish they had explained my MRI more thoroughly, I was so shocked and surprised that they cared I was getting nerve damage and losing muscle function after being told to come back when I was dragging my leg at the ER. I know others have it worse but I want to prevent as much nerve damage as I possibly can and am curious if anyone has been through this, had it happen the same way.

• I'm having my surgery on the 17th June but it's on my neck and doesn't sound half as painful as yours
    A dawes
  • Try to stay positive and focus on your positive outcome after surgery. I am going to pm you a book that really helped me.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery