Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What a place this is - hope to learn a lot here!

Since my accident and surgeries I have been frustrated there was no place (like a meeting) where you could meet others and share experiences and wisdom about this stuff .... so I'm grateful I found this.

I have only two posts which are centered around recovery from ( C-3,4 and 5,6) respectively. It was never pain as much as being effectively disabled before surgery. Now two surgeries latter Im better but still struggling and fearful that i've plateaued at a level that I'm not at all satisfied with. Anyway, maybe being here I can figure out things a bit.

I met a couple of people who had pretty much the exact same surgeries and they both did outstanding! I feel like they got back to about 95% functionality - It depends on the day but I feel like 65%-75% maybe 80% on a rare day.

I simply don't know what to expect and hope reading other people's stories might help me get some perspective on my own.

C Moore

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    will vary from person to person and from what type of cervical surgery they had.

I have ACDFs for C4/C5, C5/C6, C6/C7 with titanium plates and screws to hold everything together. The last one was done in 2000

I have found that the long term aspects of ACDFs to be very positive. Now, so much depends on the patient. After the surgeon does their part , its then up to you, the patient to do the hard work.

• - How much Physical Therapy
      - Continue to do Neck exercises at home after the surgery and then
      - Adhering to all the limitations and restrictions that your doctor gave you
      - Was a collar used after surgery? If so, hard or soft? and for how long?
      - etc
    I have done well with my cervical surgeries. To date, my biggest problem is range of motion , right to left. I am stuck in about 75% movement to my left and about 85% to my right. This does make it difficult driving. I need an over sized mirror.

But I rarely have any pain. If I overdo something, I might get some discomfort for a while, and if I spend too much time on the computer, that hurt.

Do everything that you are told to do and you should have a much greater turn in enjoying almost everything pain free.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I had PT but we sold a house and moved at a time when I should NOT likely have done so.

Pain is not as much of an issue as:

- Tightness, numbness in arms and hands. I can type but could not pass an employment typing test anymore.
    - Balance and coordination generally
    - Heavy feeling in the legs
    - Inability to walk at a brisk pace
    - Deterioration in fine motor skills (such as handwriting or buttoning a shirt)

These were all worse before surgery but are far from gone after. Ive lost free-lance work do to concerns that I can't perform and liability of course.

I guess the way to put it is this. What I gained with two surgeries and two years is, I can walk without a cane and work buttons on my clothes as along as Im in no hurry. But other then that, the surgeries have stabilized issues in the spine, but the amount of recovery from Symptoms of Cervical myelopathy that others talk about has not been my experience to date.