Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery was a bad mistake

MagistraMarlaMMagistraMarla San Antonio, TexasPosts: 177
edited 06/15/2015 - 6:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
The pain right after surgery was surprisingly non-existent. I can't take opioids, since I'm terribly allergic to them, but my pain in the hospital was next to nothing.
I've been miserable since I got home. The doc sent me home with Ibuprofen 800 and Tylenol 500, but I've stopped taking the Ibuprofen after reading that NSAIDS delay fusion. I'm worried about the fusion, since I've dealt with osteonecrosis and I have small, brittle bones.
I was denied for inpatient rehab and my hubby was counting on it, and he wasn't at all ready when I was forced to go home. The insurance also denied home health care, and we weren't able to get a hospital bed delivered until I'd been home for five days, not able to sleep on the pillow top bed.
My hubby went back to work half days three days after I came home, since the office needed him. He was back full-time by the time I was two weeks post-op.
I find the restrictions and the pain in my right hip and lower back to be much, much worse than the leg pain that I had pre-surgery. At least then I could travel, do laundry without hurting myself and lift pots, pans, casserole pans and pie pans in my kitchen. Cooking is my joy and happy place, but now it hurts to cook. I tried to cook a meal today, but I must have overdone it, and my left hip and lower back are hurting. I tried to go for a walk after dinner, but had to turn back two houses down. I had to see my rheumatologist yesterday for two pain injections in my knee, since my knee wouldn't allow me to walk. My bladder problems, which were under control before the surgery, are much, much worse after the catheter, and I can't seem to get them back under control. It's difficult to go for a walk when you have to run to the restroom every thirty minutes. I own a car, but I doubt that I can ever drive again.
I'm very, very miserable just lying here in a recliner alone every day, and even though I've never dealt with depression in my life, I'm depressed and I would rather be dead than living like this. The doctor told me that I would be feeling much stronger by six weeks, and now you say up to 52 weeks! I can't take this much longer. I am going to PT, but every time I make one step of progress, it seems that I make two steps back in the next two days.
I would give anything to go back to April 6 and choose to keep my leg pain!

• I have never had surgery before but couldn't read and not post. I have been depressed because of pain before though and its horrible. Thankfully most of my pain has subsided and I think I have half accepted that pain is part of my life now.

My mother had surgery and it took her a while to recover from it all. She had it in her neck . I assume from reading your post you had lower back surgery if you had pain in your legs?

Recovery takes a while and I assume it is frustrating for you but keep positive and this will help your journey. I know from experience that this is the incredibly hard part. There has been times where I have thought my pain would never get better. I really wish you all the best and hope you get some relief. Keep talking to people I always found this helped. Getting your feelings out even if its just posting on this forum.
  • Having any spinal fusion is very difficult. I am surprised the your surgeon told you to take NSAIDs because of the risk of delaying the fusion however you should be ok if you have stopped taking it- it may just take a little longer for the bone to fuse. It takes at least 6 months for the bone to fuse and it takes even longer for the rest of your body to recover. It's all about patience which trust me I know it hard since I've had to do it 3 times so far. Pain can also take a long time to go away, for some people it disappears fairly soon after surgery and for others it can take months or years. I was in your same exact shoes where whenever I took one step forward I took 2 back but one thing my psychologist recommended is writing every day some positive things that happened that day in order to remind yourself that there are positive things that are happening, you just aren't 100% when you want to. I understand how hard it is, but you are stronger than you think you are and you can pull through this!
  • I to understand your frustration. What happened with me was a combination of things like; the fear of the unknown, lack of support from family and friends and all this makes you depressed. Try to stay positive and find a really good support group or someone you can simply talk to. Always look forward to tomorrow as it will bring something new. Thoughts and prayers
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    edited 06/17/2015 - 2:13 PM
    Ice Man said:

Try to stay positive and find a really good support group or someone you can simply talk to. Always look forward to tomorrow as it will bring something new.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com