Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question for the ladies who've had ACDF

If/when you had the ACDF procedure, did it throw your cycle off at any point?
ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
...and it was the best decision of my life :-)

• As I've had a hysterectomy. But it is my knowledge that prednisone can do that. Where you given prednisone post op to help with swelling? It has also been my experience that trauma and stress can do the same. Maybe all the fear and stress you had about surgery and then undergoing surgery just messed with your cycle. Our cycles are very sensitive to that sort of thing.
    How are you feeling, by the way?
  • It didn't for me. Not saying the steroids wouldn't, but I did go on a steroid pack 2 weeks post op, and that didn't affect me either.

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• DeniseO_oDDeniseO_o Posts: 115
    edited 06/24/2015 - 5:07 AM
    They gave me 2 steroid meds via IV before I was discharged because of a horrible migraine I developed. That took care of the migraine and 90% of the horrible surgical pain I was having so it was a much needed relief. I only went home with Robaxin, Norco and Tramadol.

I've had my tubes tied but there's still that small % so I was sort of worried but figured it was from all the trauma and change my body has been going through. I was a week late which has never happened unless I was pregnant so I was glad to see it arrive, lol.

I am feeling great! Tomorrow is 5 weeks post op and I have more pain fee moments than not. As of 4 weeks post op I was completely off the norco so now I take the muscle relaxer and a tramadol (or tylenol) every 6-9 hours. I went back to work 2 weeks post op and started driving 3 weeks post op. I do have mild discomfort when I over exert myself but all in all, I feel amazing <3 I wore the soft collar nearly constant the first 3 weeks but now I rely on it when my neck feels tired. Not lifting my toddler has been tricky but we've managed. He's a good baby and has adjusted well as my 6 year old has too. I did pick up the 2 year old last weekend when he fell and busted his lip. You definitely can't think of or remember yourself when your child gets hurt :(

Thank you so much for asking! How are you doing? You're about 6-7 weeks out now, right?
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
  • My cycle is a mess. Lots of break through bleeding and cramps but the nurses told me it if from the stress my body went through and they see it all the time. I am only 8 days post-op and am feeling so tired. It feels like the life is being sucked right out of me. My bone graph site is giving me some troubles and it feels like it is bubbling from the inside..... really weird.

• You're still very early into recovery so hang in there, hopefully you'll catch up with your light at the end of the tunnel very soon <3
    As for the graph site, I've heard this can be troublesome for people. I had the cage and cadaver bone used on my ACDF so I don't have experience in this. There is a surgery buddy forum so maybe you can post in there for some insight?
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
  • Well for me it's been over 2 years since I had my surgery and the first 8 months after my surgery I didn't have a period and my whole nervous system was horrible. I had hot flashes, cramps, stomach pain that last half my day and I started to lose so much weight it was scarey. This was just the beginning of what I experienced but I just wanted to answer your question and for me yes it messes my whole cycle up with a vengeance . I hope this helps answers your question but everyone is different. I wish you the best and please see your OBGYN as soon as possibile to help regulate your cycle.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    so my comments can be taken as they are said.

Any surgery can potentially throw off any regular system. Just the invasion of your body with the surgery is enough to create some temporary havoc.

Add all the medications that you take while your surgery is going on, the stay in the hospital and then the recovery period. Those all can create changes.

Some people have urinary problems, some bowel problems, some eating, etc. Each is different, but each can be impacted. I do know of a young woman after having lumbar surgery, that during her periods, she would bleed for days, much more than she ever did. The doctor told her to keep an eye on it, and that after 3 cycles, if that continued she should see her OBGYN doctor.

So, I know I cant directly help, but I can say how much of an impact surgery can have on anyone's body, female or male.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thank you for responding :-) All of that completely makes sense.

I am patiently waiting for my second cycle since surgery that I am about 2 weeks away from. I hope it's on time since I have big plans at the end of the month, LOL. Priorities I tell ya. All in all I am not one to be OK with irregularity (with anything) so I'll definitely give it 90 days before seeing the OB. Thanks again.
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15