Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thoracic pain journey...

annie27aannie27 Posts: 9
edited 06/23/2015 - 5:37 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hello all...
So thankful to have a place to learn and share. I will try to be brief...
It all stared a little more than 2 years ago with back spasams..... Terrible back spasms.
I have been in retail for over 30 years...bending...lifting etc. I also have thoracic kyphosis.
I have been trying to deal with all of this with conservative measures. Chiropractic,deep tissue massage,
Accupuncture, muscle relaxers,injections,physical therapy etc.. My next step is Botox injections.
MRI findings...
Marked thoracic kyphosis
Discogenic marrow changes at T6-7 T 7-8 T 8-9 and T 9-10
Small hemangioma T 12
Lesions at T 2 T 6 these have not changed at all from old studies
Mild central disc bulges at T 2-3 and T 3-4
Left paracentral small protrusion at T9-10 which is in contact with the cord. ***this is where I have the most trouble.
T 9-10 is where my injections always are.
I am not getting any concrete information from the pain clinic. They are helpful with pain etc as far as treatments and medications and the injections do work for a period of time.
My biggest concern right now is the back spasms...they have become unbearable and I have experienced them for over two years. It seems that things have progressively gotten worse in many ways. Can the protrusion that is touching the cord at T9-10 cause all this pain and spasms? Can degenerative changes cause this also?
Anyone else out there with horrific back spasms in the thoracic area? Is there a less a less invasive surgery out there and does it work? I know there is so much pain out there and my heart goes out to all of you.
Thanks so much for your time....

Welcome to Spine-health
Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
Medical Articles
Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
More Info Tips for Newcomers
Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say you're not getting enough concrete information from your pain clinic.

Your back spasms do sound painful, but to guess at cause is, well, just guessing.
    Your pain management doctor is the one who can explain.

Maybe you need to ask more questions. It's possible he thinks he explained already and you understand.
    Good communication with doctor is so important. Everything works best when you're on the same page.

I have met with my PM doctor one month, understood everything, and went in the next month to say,.." I just need to double check. Is this......." I needed something explained again.

I would ask doctor and it gives him opportunity to assess, guide or reassure you.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• devondumplingddevondumpling Posts: 4
    edited 08/27/2015 - 11:55 AM
    Just read my first post. Boy was I brassed off. Still am actually. I'm now investing my time in researching tms/neuroplasticity et. Have accepted via psychotherapy that the excruciating pain is a symptom of years and years of family dysfunction and trauma, decades of people pleasing and always putting others first. I've come off all pain killing medication. Obviously I can't mention books and authors but am finding an open minded approach beneficial. I am also self massaging trigger points and now I am getting the hang of it find thetemporary relief for a few minutes of pain free inhalation and exhalation dizzyingly euphoric.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,802
    I know exactly who you are referring to and just proceed with caution as I've read his books, read world renowned doctors opinions of his methods and I can tell you they are Not great. He advises you to ignore your injury and run if you want to in on excerpt , that can be very dangerous advice. He also believes all your pain comes from abuse or held in emotions, when you have a structural problem this advice can be false.
    That being said I do agree with his thoughts on neuroplacticity and its long term effects. He has helped a lot of people but I actually have never met anyone who had results with it. But the mind body connection is real and alive so if it helps it helps, just keep an open mind but look out for your health also as a one size fits all (tms) rarely holds true for spine issues. But I get the frustration with doctors you have seen and as you I was led to read the books and talk about TMS. No judgement here, but one of the quotes from a well know PM was something of the nature " the worst thing a person can do is promise a magical cure for chronic pain, they are doing nothing but preying on the desperate" That's not exact cause couldn't find it but you get the picture.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.