Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Abdominal cramps

Not "cramps" as in that time of the month. It feels like a muscle cramp, and it's going down from slightly above my hips on the outer side, down across the front, right about the pubic bone on both sides. It's tightest right above the pubic bone.

I had surgery in that region in 2012, and 4 months later my back went out. I'm never sure ifthis pain is musculoskeletal and related to my nerve pain or if it's because of the surgery and scarring or whatever.

Anyway, whenever I sneeze I get sharp cramping feeling pains in the same spot. Usually it goes away after 10 minutes. This time I sneezed and both sides locked up and it's been over 24 hours. I can barely walk, every movement hurts, and even inhaling a lungful is painful.

I'm reluctant to go to the ER because I'll sit there for 12 hours (typical there) and I doubt they'll be able to do anything about it (unless there is some magic injection they can give me in that spot to make the muscles relax).

I've tried smoking pot (which usually helps my back cramps) and taking my prescribed muscle relaxers in double the dose and neither has helped. I tried a heating pad, warm bath, and walking around and stretching as much as I could tolerate.

Does anyone know what this is and how to treat it?


  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    edited 06/18/2015 - 2:08 AM
    ..I would not be self medicating by doubling the dose of my prescribed meds.

    That kind of pain, I would call my doctor, who may very well tell you to go to ER, or to his office. I don't know.

    But that kind of pain, I would want treated. The longer it goes on, the more the pain takes on a life of its own, in my experience.

    We can only do what is right by us. Take care of ourselves.
    Past ER experiences are not going to take control away from me in me taking control of my pain.
    And I would suggest the same to you.

    If you have difficulties with ER procedures, tell your doctor. And maybe there is another ER he uses, or maybe he can be called while you in ER and he be more firm with his instructions , next time it happens.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

Sign In or Register to comment.