Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Proof in the power of exercising from my experience with disc problems

SproutSSprout Posts: 29
edited 06/19/2015 - 6:08 AM in Exercise and Rehab
I put up a thread in the new member forum introducing myself and the history of my back issues. Well, at one point there, I had exhausted all options presented to me at the time when I had 2 herniated discs (L4/L5 and L5/S1). I said I would give exercising a shot as a last option before I let anyone operate.

When I started out I couldn't do a single push up, couldn't do a single pull up or even bend to touch my toes. I started out light with body weight exercises and stretches. Next, I upgraded to the Tower 200 By Jake (resistance bands) and then I got an actual weight bench (a few of them) with about 300lbs in free weights and bars.

Here I was when I was diagnosed with the 2 herniated discs and they wanted to operate

About 5 months later I was here

And the last picture I took before I stopped exercising due to a loss in the family was this. At this point, I was benching more than my body weight, strapping a 25lb plate to my waist and doing pull-ups for 10 reps etc.

For 2 years I had basically no nerve pain in my right leg and no real back issues. I saw a new orthopedic doctor in 2013 to see about an issue I had with my trap muscle that always flared up. Here is one pic of my trap relaxed and you can see how inflamed it was

He suggested and MRI on my neck to see if this muscle was protecting anything and so I asked if we could let them MRI my lower back to see how my discs were and he was blown away to know I had 2 herniated discs because he said I was built. MRI results showed that my discs were no longer herniated and only just bulged and not touching any of the nerves they previously were so exercising helped!

After my mother-in-law passed away, I had to spend more time with my family as it was rough for my wife and my daughter. As a result, exercising was put on the back burner and after 8 months, the issues started again. Had an MRI in 214 and it showed I did a lot of damage. I was told to try exercising again and change my job especially since I was having issues some days controlling my bladder.

Unfortunately, I took too long and too much damage was done and I couldn't get back into my exercise routine so I went back to my doctor and we did another MRI last week. . Even taking tons of meds to try get by to exercise, my body just wouldn't allow so now I have:

Discogenic disease, spondylosis, diffuse posterior disc bulges and facet joint arthropathy at both L4/L5 and L5/S1.
Moderate degree of endplate osteitis at L4/L5 secondary to chronic discovertebral trauma.
L5/S1 has a central radial annular tear

I am now in the planning stages of surgery which will require rods. My only wish was to be able to exercise again because out of everything I tried with therapists and epidurals etc., nothing made a difference like exercising. If you haven't gone too far, give it a shot, but make sure you research it properly and do the right stuff because you can make yourself worse doing the wrong exercises and having terrible form while exercising. I joined a bodybuilding forum where I moderated it for a while before I had to step down (after mother in law passed away) but it was there, I learned all about what to do. You take it slow and you'll be surprised at how much exercising will help many of us with our current conditions.

Warning Do not take any member's statement as an ok to start with any exercise or product. Everything they state is based on their own personal experiences. What may be good for one person, could spell disaster for another. Always talk things over with your doctor before you venture into something new ----- Ron DiLauro , Spine-Health System Moderator 06/19/15
"I would not change you for the world, but I'd change the world for you!"

--Autism Awareness--

• I agree with the edit the mod made to my post adding the warning. This is why I said research it first as doing the wrong thing with the wrong form could spell disaster. Most doctors will suggest some form of exercising before they commit to taking matters further. My doctor gave me a list of stuff to do and then I took it from there. By no means take my post as being gospel and a perfect fit for all. It worked for me, but may not for all because as you can see, exercising is no longer an option for me in my present state. My back has declined too far during the period I stopped exercising and anything I try now just irritates it.
    "I would not change you for the world, but I'd change the world for you!"

--Autism Awareness--